Genoa track location

rettop

May 10, 2014
MacGregor 26D ? Lake pepin
I have a 1990 26s that I am upgrading. I've installed a CDI furling system and now I want to purchase a new head sail. I'm looking at a 110% Genoa,but the issue is that all I havew are deck deadeyes to run the sheet through at present. Can anyone give me some direction of how long a genoa track I should use, and where should it be located to best control the new sail?:confused:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There is no good area on the Mac deck for a respectable length track. Not for a genoa that is intended to be controlled outboard of the shrouds. Some people have added short tracks. I don't imagine they get much adjustment from them.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I think a 110 would be always sheeted from inside the lifelines. ???

I put a 3 foot track on the deck of my 26S that I use with the working jib (I assume this is "100" (??) and all I did was to put the center the track around the stock pad eye intended for the working jib. I think I angled these slightly so that the track moves inward as you would move the pulley foward, outward as you move the pully back.

Im planning on a similar setup as the OP - furler with a 110 so hopefully what I have still works fine..

FYI, it seems that when someone sets a boat up for upwind racing, the inside jib tracks are always "inward" or closer together than where the stock pad eye is located.. Exactly what is right.. dont know. When I first did the 3 foot, I didnt think it was long enough - maybe 4 foot was better. Then after using these for long time, I find I just dont get enough benifit to ever adjust so the pulley has been in the same spot for a bunch of years.

rettop

May 10, 2014
MacGregor 26D ? Lake pepin
Thanks for the help Walt. I was concerned that by going to a 110 and using the existing eye's that I wouldn't be able to sheet the Genoa properly. What you suggest makes sense for placement.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Except that I really dont know the answer..

My foresail is aftermarket and I think I ordered it as a "working jib" and this could be anywhere from 75 to 100% of the "foretriangle". It works fine with the inside track I expained earlier.

But.. Im just assuming that the stock inside padeye location must have been setup for about 100% so "it seems" that 110% should be able to use close to the same location. You just might need to locate the pulley backwards of forwards which the track will accomodate but Im assuming the stock "width" should work just fine..

But.. I really dont know.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
These sort of discussions always pull up thoughts of a barber hauler system in my mind. I don't race, so tracks always seemed superfluous with a fixed length sail. A furling sail is a different problem.

Erik V

Mar 14, 2012
Macgregor 25 Stony Point NY
Find the midpoint of the head sail luff, sight thru the clue down to the deck that should be the midpoint of the proposed track. I have a 150 genoa and my tracks are 4' long outside the shrouds, and yes moving the sheet block does make a different when trimming. Also when I shorten sail using the furler I can trim it by moving the sheet block. You don't need to race to benefit from well trimmed sails.