Genoa sheets

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
Probably been asked a hundred times, but with stock layout (Genoa tracks on the outside) do the sheets run outside the lifelines or inside? Ive tried both but was curious what the original design intent was. I run a 135 on roller furler. Thanks

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Inside so as to not side load the stations upwind (downwind loading is a lot lighter on the sheets). There a bit small anyway and many see them as more of a tripping hazard than not. @Will Gilmore is correct in the origional line layout life lines were not anticipated.

Aug 15, 2022
I would hazard a guess that the Catalina 22 was designed without lifelines in mind.

Captain's choice.

-Will
Point noted lol! Thanks

I have a 88 which by that time lifelines had become commonplace from the factory, I look at as many pictures as I can that Catalina has just to look at the rigging ect. But I never could tell for sure.

Aug 15, 2022
Inside so as to not side load the stations upwind (downwind loading is a lot lighter on the sheets). There a bit small anyway and many see them as more of a tripping hazard than not. @Will Gilmore is correct in the origional line layout life lines were not anticipated.

Ive been using them inside lately and I seem to like it better but not on all points of sail. Upwind for sure.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@morbidfollower Yeah there is no perfect solution. Upwind having them inside makes for a better sheeting angle. The down side is they rub going downwind. Depending on how much and how hard you like to push the boat you can start to see wear on the plastic coating around the life lines from the friction.

My life lines certainly have some wear marks but then again I often push the boat in larger wind/ waves and trailer a lot to various lakes and rivers. This year were well over the 5,000 miles trailered and I think somewhere over 300 miles sailed (when I remember to turn on the gps that is to count the miles sailed:laugh:). Still hopeful for a fall sail or two but summer is coming to an end for sure in the Midwest.

Aug 15, 2022
@morbidfollower Yeah there is no perfect solution. Upwind having them inside makes for a better sheeting angle. The down side is they rub going downwind. Depending on how much and how hard you like to push the boat you can start to see wear on the plastic coating around the life lines from the friction.

My life lines certainly have some wear marks but then again I often push the boat in larger wind/ waves and trailer a lot to various lakes and rivers. This year were well over the 5,000 miles trailered and I think somewhere over 300 miles sailed (when I remember to turn on the gps that is to count the miles sailed:laugh:). Still hopeful for a fall sail or two but summer is coming to an end for sure in the Midwest.
Absolutely jealous of you getting to trailer your boat all over and explore. I just finished the book Sailing America " A trailer sailors guide to North America" by Larry brown, and I got me hyped up to research some destinations to go to. Do you trailer with a single axle? Sorry to go off topic.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Do you trailer with a single axle? Sorry to go off topic.

No need to be jealous or worries about going off topic its your thread after all :biggrin:. Yes I use a single axel that I upgraded some years back to 6500lbs with lighter springs. I originally wanted the single due to some of the tight backing I need to do at a few ramps I used to frequent. If I were to do it over I would go double as I have found better ramps to use. Fully loaded for a week of cruising for our family of 5 our wing keel is easily pushing the 4000lb limit with the water tank, porta-potty, and solar showers full. We have done about 5000 miles or more for the last 4 or 5 years now and had only 1 tire blow out. It was dry rotted between the tread and i did not catch it. Hydraulic brakes are adjusted every year (sometimes twice after a long haul to Florida or Oklahoma) and bearings are repacked every other year with all new seals.

I love Larry brown's books. His "Sailing on a Micro-Budget" still sits on my shelf and I still read it though every now and then. Dated but a great study. Funny you mention him as I actually reached out to him and we exchanged some emails a few years back. Certainly a good resource and his mentality of "leave the boat and forget about it" holds true in my life to this day. Either you own the boat or the boat will own you. Its one of the primary reasons we choose not to slip the boat (thought its tempting as I get older).

Mar 26, 2024
Catalina 22 Lake Travis
First think the older guys at my club said when they saw my cat 22 was "you need to remove the lifelines and middle stantions.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
They said it will interfere with trimming for racing. We are a racing club.
Bingo that's the key right there. If you race using inside tracks and have lifelines you will constantly have to foot the jib for final trim. Also because someone is always going on deck for the downwind run they do provide a false sense of security / tripping hazard. I race as well and they are indeed in the way.

Now when we cruise there great for hanging towels and things on. With young kids they provide a great place to hang your feet off the leeward side and not be swept over if the heel increases too much. It really comes down to your use case for the boat. When my kids were young I loved them. Now that there all older and moving out I would prefer not to have them. That said I am also not removing them as I like my close line. :laugh:

Mar 26, 2024
Catalina 22 Lake Travis
Totally fair. No need to be quiet. I have so much to do on the boat and a lot of stupid questions coming

Aug 15, 2022
I'm an idiot. I should have said inside.

I really hope no one pays much attention to anything I say.:laugh:
Wait what?lol. So you run the sheets inside the lifelines? On all points of sail regardless of sail size?