Genoa Repair

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Just received the invoice from Ullman Sails of Anacortes for $550 to do the following:

1. Replace three cringle nylon straps.
2. Replace UV cloth.
3. Replace luff tape.
4. Misc. stitch repairs.

Original 1991 sail cloth still in good condition and able to get another season or two or three of use. This huge 150 genoa has been a wonderful sail on our boat. Loads of power, durable, trims well. Getting it ready for our spring cruise coming up April 6-14.

They did a good job when they repaired our main in 2015. Hopefully, this repair will be of the same quality. Will keep you posted, including pictures of the finished product.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Good news. You get a sail back in fine conditions. You get to use it! :)

Aha, April. Gee, izzinit just next month? :clap::clap::clap:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Early start. And daylight savings hour lost.
When’s a guy going to get a good night sleep.

At this rate I’m going to have to take a nap in the middle of the day.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
My sailmaker did the same to my 135% last year and I am really happy with the results. It made one heck of a mess in the living room for a week but that is a small price to pay.

Dec 25, 2000
Terry, Vince does good work. Price quoted seems reasonable for work done!
Agree Mark. Some reason I thought they were open Saturdays. Nope. M-F. Drove to the boat yesterday for my two week safety check with a plan to pick up the sail. Called Vince before leaving Shelter Bay for Anacortes just to make sure. Where was he, but out sailing in a race. How inconsiderate! :solame: Need now to work out some sort of pick up arrangement. Perhaps one of his crew travel to Seattle from time to time. No hurry here as long as I can get it sometime this month.

Dec 25, 2000
Picked up the repaired genoa from Ullman Sails yesterday. Did a rendezvous with Vince Townrow in Everett. This picture shows the new tack cringle pennant.
Genoa1.JPG

A closer shot of the new pennant.
Genoa2.JPG

Genoa laid out before mounting on the head stay furler. New luff tape beginning just below the head cringle.
Genoa3.JPG

Genoa mostly installed with the Admiral's helping hand. Skipper at the winch, Admiral guiding the bolt rope onto the furler.
Genoa6.JPG

Repaired genoa installed, sheets attached and ready for cruising.
Genoa8.JPG

Jan 8, 2020
brentswain 31 31 twin keeler Heriot Bay BC
Its always a good idea to carry a big roll of peel and stick sail repair tape.Lets you repair small tears and seam failures, instantly ,before they become worse.That stuff really welds itself on, permanently .
A good sewing machine is a huge asset on any cruising boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Its always a good idea to carry a big roll of peel and stick sail repair tape.
While this is a true statement, and the sail repair tape works wonders and looks good, in a pinch gorrilla tape (duct tape) can get you back to home port in a pinch. The white tape looks less like a patch job than the black/grey.

When things are dire duct tape it and pray.