Genoa - repair or replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2012
Catalina 320 Baltimore County
We have a new-to-us 2000 C320 with in mast furling and a 135 genoa on a Schaefer roller furler. We don't know the age of the sails, but assume that they're original. The stitching on the foot of the genoa has begun pulling out, separating the sail cloth from the line (in the sail's "tabling") over roughly 4 or 5 feet. The protective cover on the leech has also started to separate. I don't know if the tearing of the stitching is in any way related to how hard it is to unfurl that genoa. I'm definitely replacing the lower furling drum this winter!

Considering the age and other unknowns about the sail, is this something that should be repaired, or should I bite the bullet and replace that genoa?

Steve
#754, Sea Monkey

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
We have a new-to-us 2000 C320 with in mast furling and a 135 genoa on a Schaefer roller furler. We don't know the age of the sails, but assume that they're original. The stitching on the foot of the genoa has begun pulling out, separating the sail cloth from the line (in the sail's "tabling") over roughly 4 or 5 feet. The protective cover on the leech has also started to separate. I don't know if the tearing of the stitching is in any way related to how hard it is to unfurl that genoa. I'm definitely replacing the lower furling drum this winter! Considering the age and other unknowns about the sail, is this something that should be repaired, or should I bite the bullet and replace that genoa? Steve #754, Sea Monkey

Any reputable sailmaker can repair this. No need to replace.

Apr 19, 2011
Hunter 31 Seattle
I paid $1100 to replace the UV cover when I could of had a brand new sail for $2400. I didn't shop around sail lofts and got the most expensive loft in the area since I didn't know better and everyone said to go to them! I digress though.

I guess it comes down to how you use the boat and what your priorities are. If you plan on replacing the sail in the next few years then its not worth it and I'd get a new sail. If your just cruising and don't really trim too much or care then just get the uv replaced.

If it was me I'd say get a new sail. They make the sailing more enjoyable! Point higher, less heel, more speed, etc...

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Our genoa was starting lose its thread and I took to a fellow sailor that has a canvas business.. He stitched all the loose bits and charged about $250. So far so good

Jul 6, 2013
Hunter 29.5 Lake Perry
Had the same issue with my jib (line falling out) and had it stitched back in. It is much easier to furl now. I'm not sure why there is a difference but it was very noticeable.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Last time I had a sunband replaced it was about $600 with some additional restitching and maybe cleaning.
The early Schaefer Model 2100 furlers did not have any provision for flushing the bearings in the lower drum, as a result they eventually seize up. Holes were added at the top of the drum to allow for flushing with fresh water. Schaefer was offering the improved replacement bearing drums at a reduced price to owners with the older model. Call them and explain you have the "old" model to see if you can still get a break on the replacement. Mine was an '02 and had the old model so I'm assuming you do also.

Mar 13, 2012
Catalina 320 Baltimore County
I bought a replacement drum from Schaefer about a month ago and plan to install it sometime over the winter when the boat's on the hard. It's my #1 priority project to get done before next spring!

I'll be contacting sailmakers in the Annapolis area over the next few weeks to get estimates for the work. Thanks everyone! Relieved that the general consensus is that I can get another few years out of this sail.

Steve
#754 Sea Monkey

Status
Not open for further replies.