Genoa in-haul jaming on drum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2011
Catalina 309 Fort Myers
I've had trouble with my in-haul line jamming on the furling drum on my 2008 Catalins 309. The guide pulley on the bow rail is too high and the line winds in a plane around the top of the drum, forcing it outside the "cage" that encloses the drum area. I've tried to move the pully forward and lower, but now it's only a foot from the drum and the line wraps mainly around the middle, causing it to jam, but at least it doesn't go outside the cage.
Has anyone come up with a good solution or seen this problem on your 309?

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Try moving the lead block aft to the next stanchion, and low on the stanchion. The furling line should be exactly perpendicular to the forestay, but also shouldn't have the lead block too close to the drum.

Oct 30, 2011
Catalina 309 Fort Myers
Thanks, I added a block on the deck to get the line more perpindicular. I also found the two of the bail segments were bent inward, allowing the line to jump out of the drum area. Hope this combination fixes the problem.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 309 Jacksonville, FL
I had the identical problem with my 2008 Catalina 309. I lowered the lead block...just as John Salley has also advised you. But I did one more thing. I had way too much furling line-- more than I needed-- on the forestay reefing reel. By eliminating some of the excess line, it helped to prevent the reefing line from over-riding the bail segments. I have had no problems since. I tend to think that my primary problem was too much line...even more than the angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.