Gennaker

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
OK my almost new to me 393 has been a pleasure cruising southern NE. I'm preparing to haul next week but already thinking ahead to next season. The one thing that was part of her inventory but I haven't played with is her North Sail Gennaker. I've been surfing Youtube for how to's. Never had one before and to be honest have been a bit intimidated by the thought. So my question comes down to the use of shackles. I saw the video attached and liked his demonstration. My question is what kind of load would the tack have so that I size a Tylaska T-series shackles appropriately? Also, what are your opinions on how he douses the sail? Looks like a safe way to handle it.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
My question is what kind of load would the tack have so that I size a Tylaska T-series shackles appropriately?
Well, that depends on your willingness to push the envelope. So if it's worth doing, overdo it. :biggrin:
An adjustible tack will require less MWL rating than a fixed tack. Don't know why he's not using parrell beads or a "tacker" to keep the tack on center.

Also, what are your opinions on how he douses the sail?
Seems he could induce a twist pretty easily letting the tack go like that, but it is a big sail to fight with in any decent breeze. A main up to blanket the spin could help instead of blowing the tack.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Different approaches to dousing. Depends on one- or number of (capable) crew, seaway, whether it's night or you're doing it just in the day, who's steering (or whether the autopilot is working), and WIND.

The basic principle (as JustSomeGuy suggests) is to de-pressure the sail. Blanketing it is the best general way, in my opinion. AS SOON as you de-pressurize the sail, you want to get the sock down and secured enough so that it won't "re-inflate". The ATN is a GREAT sock system. Usually the sock is cut so that you don't get it all the way down -- i.e., there is enough exposed of the tack to allow you to connect some of it forward and have a bit of the clew to attach.

Some spinnaker take-downs (including symmetric chutes) involve letting the "tack" flutter out while pulling the chute aboard. In sporty or heavy winds, or when you're setting a jib and pulling the chute in after rounding a mark, it's the preferred method.

I don't do when I'm putting away our asymmetric chute while alone or with limited crew. I don't pull-out the jib until the chute is put in the bag. In my case, I ease the tack line (and allow the sprit pole of J/Boat) to come in to where your Beneteau would have it's tack) as soon as I blanket the main. Then I ease the sheet enough to make sure the sail is depowered. THEN THE SOCK COMES DOWN. After the sock is down, I then release or ease the tack line. The chute-in-sock is lowered BEHIND the main and bagged, with the wind far enough aft that it doesn't fight you.

Of course, if you are out of room and dropping the chute with some decent crew (and someone at the helm who understands what's going on), then you can do some things somewhat differently. Before you try those things, I'd get comfortable with less rigorous approach.

The key to remember, that chute is a lot more powerful if the wind fills it than you are. You aren't going to simply muscle it down on a 40' sailboat. DE-PRESSURIZE (de-power) the chute, Sock-it, drop it behind the main as you fold-it into the bag.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Appreciate the comments. I've been reading a lot. North Sail has a video too. I'm bummed she's coming out. Can't wait to play next season.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
No sock can and will likely be a handful. A sock is a fine way to deal with the sail. A top down furler is a relatively high cost solution.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I always recommend that a person/crew practice and be able to take down a spinnaker without a sock. Those things are handy but can and do fail. An asym for this boat is not that big can can easily be handled without a sock.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
If you have a couple of "C" notes lying around a top down furler is a great way to manage the sail, especially when short handed, no one has to venture out on the fore deck. We fly ours regularly with just the Admiral and myself.

Aug 1, 2011
Top down is the way to go. The "creamsicle" asym rolls up just fine and deploys quickly.

Aug 1, 2011
More like a couple of "M" notes, eh? But yes, I want one instead of the sock I now have.
Yeah, more like a couple of M notes. The Profurl Spinex hardware is quite elegant. Far from cheap, but elegant.

Aug 1, 2011
How much did your home-made one set you back?

I know you designed/milled/ a few parts.
I got the little (55mm) Ronstan small boat furler, and made a new cage to turn it into a proper top down cage. Parts and bearings and recovery from design stupidity, I'm all in for about $1500, Cdn.
It was actually an easy project, but it took quite a few small changes along the way.