Gennaker with B&R rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Thanks for sharing your video Bowed. Looks like it was a very pleasant day! Can you recall your degrees on the wind? Wind speed and Boat Speed?
Here is a video of us flying the Spinnaker last Saturday! Very light wind. This is the first video I have ever posted on this site so hopefully it worked. Not the best videotographer but I think the important parts are in there. Including my thumb! :D

Note the lack of boats! This is typical of sailing on our lake!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjZa_5b5ZRI&feature=youtu.be

Jul 25, 2011
Hunter 340 Chattanooga, TN
I hate to jump on someone else thread but I have purchased an asymmetrical spinnaker for my 2000 340, it has the metal arch. I was wondering where you installed the stern blocks? Did you hook them to the arch or possibly the railing in the back? I noticed it has a metal loop under the seat that I have never used.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Chris

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
I hate to jump on someone else thread but I have purchased an asymmetrical spinnaker for my 2000 340, it has the metal arch. I was wondering where you installed the stern blocks? Did you hook them to the arch or possibly the railing in the back? I noticed it has a metal loop under the seat that I have never used.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Chris
Off I attached my snatch blocks to those two loops (one on the port and one on the stbd). then run the sheets thru them to the stern winches.

Jul 25, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply and information. I can't wait to try the spinnaker out this weekend.

Chris Edwards

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Thanks for the quick reply and information. I can't wait to try the spinnaker out this weekend.

Chris Edwards

Oh you make me jealous!!!!! 13 degrees here heading down to 6 tonight! Have a good sail. I have a movie of the entire rig if you are interested I can send the file to you.

Jul 25, 2011
Oh you make me jealous!!!!! 13 degrees here heading down to 6 tonight! Have a good sail. I have a movie of the entire rig if you are interested I can send the file to you.
That's too cold for me. :) I'm in Tennessee and we get winter but not the freezing stuff like up north. We can boat most of the year if you can stand it between 40 and 50. I decided this year to race bi-weekly at a race called The Shackleton Series. One of our local marina's holds the races. Normally I can't get anyone to go out this time of year but when they find out its a race everyone wants to go.

I would be very grateful to see the video of your rig.

Thanks and stay warm!

Chris Edwards

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
That's too cold for me. :) I'm in Tennessee and we get winter but not the freezing stuff like up north. We can boat most of the year if you can stand it between 40 and 50. I decided this year to race bi-weekly at a race called The Shackleton Series. One of our local marina's holds the races. Normally I can't get anyone to go out this time of year but when they find out its a race everyone wants to go.

I would be very grateful to see the video of your rig.

Thanks and stay warm!

Chris Edwards
40 to 50 is nice spring and fall sailing for us... I need your email address to send the movie to you. I cannot attach it to an IM.

Dec 27, 2004
Hunter 340 Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I'd appreciate seeing the movie too pls. Haven't bought the gennaker yet but still looking. Also no stern winches on the 340 so wondering if will need to add or get creative....

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
I'd appreciate seeing the movie too pls. Haven't bought the gennaker yet but still looking. Also no stern winches on the 340 so wondering if will need to add or get creative....
I really don't think you would need to add. I would run from the snap shackle to a deck winch. Or just haul in by hand and cleat off. I sent the movie via email. It may not be of much use but at least it could be a little help.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Jul 25, 2011
That is awesome! Thanks a million for taking the time to post the video. I know exactly how to setup my asymmetrical spinnaker now. Now you just need to hope summer gets here again real soon!

Chris

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
That is awesome! Thanks a million for taking the time to post the video. I know exactly how to setup my asymmetrical spinnaker now. Now you just need to hope summer gets here again real soon!

Chris
Well I am looking out the window at 12" of snow and 7 degrees! It seems like a long time before I will see any "water time".....have fun!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
We fly our spinnaker every chance we get. Before I found some reasonably priced winches to mount on the coaming, I used the cabin top jib winches for the spinnaker sheets.

Attachments

Jul 25, 2011
We fly our spinnaker every chance we get. Before I found some reasonably priced winches to mount on the coaming, I used the cabin top jib winches for the spinnaker sheets.

I believe I have seen your videos on YouTube, they look awesome.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
IMG_5088 (2).jpgIf you can zoom in on the instruments in this photo, 7.3 knots SOG in 11.9 apparent 120 degrees. I made a bowsprit out of 2" aluminum conduit, it works great, but we've bent it several times, including this day. I only have about 40 bucks into it, but I'm going to remake it out of 3" aircraft aluminum tubing, I found a six foot piece for 70 bucks.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
I was talking with a friend of doing something like this once...he suggested using an old sunfish mast ....

Status
Not open for further replies.