Genius time fix for Beckson @#%&* portlight gasket

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I have previously posted my frustrating experience over 6 years trying to replace a leaking gasket over the settee. Talked to Beckson customer service who suggested a plastic head hammer. Might work in a jig but no go on my ports. Finally decided to make jig to route out a bigger dado groove and bed the tab in sealant. At the last minute I got the brainstorm to make the projecting tab thinner so it would insert and stay in the dado groove.
The are two very small raised lines on each side of the tab. I used a box knife to shave them off of one side and used two small picks to push the tab into the groove. Success at last! Done in under 30 minutes and no more leaks!
Given the amount of future human suffering saved, I fully expect at least one Nobel peace prize for my genius moment but post it here first that all mankind may be served.
(My next step was to replace all the portlights)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Before I hand you your Nobel, I'll need to see a picture :)
Yup, just posing without one! :):):)

Seriously though, Larry, I have one to do and am not looking forward to it. That said, though, I've done three of my eight. Takes patience.

Yes, more details would really help.

For example:
I used a box knife to shave them off of one side
how does this help?
and used two small picks to push the tab into the groove.
THAT seems to be THE clue for the prize! :)

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Removing the raised ribs on one side makes the tab less thick so you can push the sucker down into the groove. Was in no mood to photograph the event but will take pics if I do another. Now just have a view of an installed gasket 6 years after first starting.