Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
Have been thinking about getting a small generator Honda maybe a 900 watt or 1600 watt. I am on a mooring and looking to top off batteries without running engine. Maybe to beable to run the water heater. Anyone have any experience?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I have one of the Honda 2kw EU2000i generators. Weighs about 50 lbs with gas (1 gal tank). It has an automatic throttle that revs it up with heavy load, or runs low with a light load.I hook it to my shore power cable with an adapter, and tie it to the mast. It is very quiet, and you barely notice it down below. I've only used it a few times, but it will run both the battery charger and the water heater. In the fall it it just as easy to run the engine, as the water will heat up by the time you charge the batts and it warms the cabin, but perhaps in the summer when you don't want the engine heat it would be worthwhile.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Another good reason for not using your engine to charge is this odd cyclinder light flywheel diesel's does not run well at idle, tough on the damper plate. I use a 72W solar setup. No gas, no smell, no mess, and no noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.