Generator location in Beneteau 423 and Cutter rig

Dec 4, 2019
Beneteau 423 Jacksonville
We have owned our 2004 423 for about 6 months now and are really enjoying it. It has 2 air conditioning units but no generator. In the event - unlikely - that we install a genset, where has Beneteau placed a diesel unit? The starboard Lazarette is the obvious place, but that would put it over part of the fuel tank. Our aft lazarette, if that is the right term, has the autopilot brain and other stuff in it making it cramped.

Also, I read somewhere that there were a few 423s with an inner forestay for a cutter rig. There is no reinforcing bulkhead forward. Would it be possible to install one as the boat is currently configured?

Thanks, and I hope you've been sailing lately!

Jeff

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I am going to take a wild guess and suggest beneath starboard helm seat (or lazarette) according to the attached manual section 6. That is where I would install one on my Hunter 46 if I was planning to as it is vacant. Let us know where you plan to locate it.

Attachments

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
My 2005 has the generator in the starboard lazerette in the aft section to the inside wall. My boards over the fuel tank are cut so the forward half can be lifted and tank inspected. I can snap a picture of you would like..... I pulled my generator for some engine repairs and will be lifting the rear section to inspect and clean.

Greg

Dec 4, 2019
Beneteau 423 Jacksonville
Thanks. I thought that is where it’d go. I see how the boards over the fuel tank are cut. (We had to access the tank when we had a contaminated fuel adventure a few months ago.) The fuel tank has 2 fittings so I guess the second is for a genset. No plans right now for a genset though.