Generator Installation

Sep 5, 2019
Hunter 386 Rock Hall
I want to install a diesel generator in my 386 and need some insights and photos from others who have done this. Considering a Next Gen 5.5 . Will need to build a platform to mount it on and would like to see what others have done. Also am concerned about noise level in aft cabin.

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
I took delivery of a new Marlow Hunter 40 in June 2018. It was a factory direct order so I had a lot of flexibility with options I ordered with the boat. The Fisher Panda generator that was originally planned for the boat has been redesigned and would no longer fit into the compartment, but MH suggested using a NextGen 5.5 without the manufacturer’s sound enclosure. Marlow Hunter custom build an enclosure around the generator and insulated it with sound barrier panels. The generator works well and easily handles the load for both air conditioners, but the noise is unbearable in the aft cabin. The generator is installed on a shelf under the port combing behind the cockpit lazerette. There is an inaccessible empty compartment directly under the generator shelf with a common wall in the aft cabin that resonates like a base drum. The boat is out of the water and I started tearing apart the enclosure MH built this week with the goal of securing and sealing all of the poorly constructed enclosure wall panels, cutting a large removable wall panel in the aft cabin to access the empty compartment under the generator, and install a lot more sound barrier and sound absorbing material around and under the generator.

I noticed your boat is in Rock Hall, MD. My boat is at Oak Harbor Marina on Rock Creek directly across the Bay from you in Pasadena, MD. You are welcome to come take a look at the generator installation.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I have a next gen 5.5 and it now works great. I had/have three issues. 1. it is noisy. I have insulated the back bulk head but still noisy. 2. I had to change the speed to get the right voltage/amps to get max capacity. 3. the electrical side of the generator would over heat and shutdown. I had to install a fan in my rear lazzerett (sp) and push air over the generator.
Having said all that, the generator works great and is a value for the money. You also get very good support from the company.

Sep 5, 2019
Hunter 386 Rock Hall
I have a next gen 5.5 and it now works great. I had/have three issues. 1. it is noisy. I have insulated the back bulk head but still noisy. 2. I had to change the speed to get the right voltage/amps to get max capacity. 3. the electrical side of the generator would over heat and shutdown. I had to install a fan in my rear lazzerett (sp) and push air over the generator.
Having said all that, the generator works great and is a value for the money. You also get very good support from the company.
I took delivery of a new Marlow Hunter 40 in June 2018. It was a factory direct order so I had a lot of flexibility with options I ordered with the boat. The Fisher Panda generator that was originally planned for the boat has been redesigned and would no longer fit into the compartment, but MH suggested using a NextGen 5.5 without the manufacturer’s sound enclosure. Marlow Hunter custom build an enclosure around the generator and insulated it with sound barrier panels. The generator works well and easily handles the load for both air conditioners, but the noise is unbearable in the aft cabin. The generator is installed on a shelf under the port combing behind the cockpit lazerette. There is an inaccessible empty compartment directly under the generator shelf with a common wall in the aft cabin that resonates like a base drum. The boat is out of the water and I started tearing apart the enclosure MH built this week with the goal of securing and sealing all of the poorly constructed enclosure wall panels, cutting a large removable wall panel in the aft cabin to access the empty compartment under the generator, and install a lot more sound barrier and sound absorbing material around and under the generator.

I noticed your boat is in Rock Hall, MD. My boat is at Oak Harbor Marina on Rock Creek directly across the Bay from you in Pasadena, MD. You are welcome to come take a look at the generator installation.
Thank you for your quick reply. I am really concerned about the noise factor. The generator will be directly behind where we sleep. Do you know, does Next Gens sound enclosure do more to reduce noise? I’ve also considered the 3.5 model. I have 0nly 1 16k AC unit and battery charger that I need to power. Wondering if that would give me room for more insulation. Thanks for the offer to look at your boat. I may take you up on it.

Sep 5, 2019
Hunter 386 Rock Hall

Sep 5, 2019
Hunter 386 Rock Hall
Sailgunner, which Hunter model is the generator installed on? Is yours mounted in an enclosure from Next Gen or in a compartment insulated by you? I have room for either installation and not sure which is better.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The noise can be from transfer from the engine mounts to the rest of the boat; and, then there is the noise of the gen set itself.

There are some "soft" frames for sound enclosures. -- These won't sound the mount "vibration" noise transfers.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Sailgunner, which Hunter model is the generator installed on? Is yours mounted in an enclosure from Next Gen or in a compartment insulated by you? I have room for either installation and not sure which is better.
mine is a 2000 410. I do not have an enclosure. I do not know how I would fit an enclosure. the generator is where it was designed to be, starboard behind the rear berth.
Frankly I do not run the generator after we go to bed. Our process is to run the generator and air conditioners for a couple of hours before we go to bed. With the boat closed up and the humidity removed, we are comfortable with a couple of fans running. I just was never comfortable with a carbon monoxide generator running right next to our berth.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Another comment. When I researched which generator to install the conclusion I came to is quiet generators turn at lower RPMs. Next Gens run at higher rpms. So I don't think a smaller Next Gen would be much quieter. I think the only way to get the sound down is to have an enclosure. So maybe you could fit an enclosure on a smaller gen set. The smaller one will probably work for you since you only have one A/C unit.

Sep 5, 2019
Hunter 386 Rock Hall
I’m asking again for someone who owns a 386 to tell me what generator they have installed on their boat. I appreciate all the responses I’ve received so far but want a specific answer for my 386. I have a location that was created for a generator but am having a hard time finding a generator that fits it.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I’m asking again for someone who owns a 386 to tell me what generator they have installed on their boat. I appreciate all the responses I’ve received so far but want a specific answer for my 386. I have a location that was created for a generator but am having a hard time finding a generator that fits it.
Might I suggest contacting fisher panda, and see if they have an older 4kw unit with an enclosure. I’m guessing they’ve got something gathering dust in their shop. It would fit your boat, and would be the quietest solution. Also, this could be financially viable if they have something.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Thank you for your quick reply. I am really concerned about the noise factor. The generator will be directly behind where we sleep. Do you know, does Next Gens sound enclosure do more to reduce noise? I’ve also considered the 3.5 model. I have 0nly 1 16k AC unit and battery charger that I need to power. Wondering if that would give me room for more insulation. Thanks for the offer to look at your boat. I may take you up on it.
Only thing, running the generator while you are sleeping is not a good practice, not to say nearby boats sleeping also.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Am seriously considering a NextGen for my 2009 Hunter 36 if we decide to stay with the boat for cruising after retirement. @Bob R. did you ever get the generator enclosure modified to transmit less noise? Who did the actual install - there's a company in Annapolis, I believe, that carries and installs them. How is the NextGen running for you now that you've had it for a few years?

Would love to pick your brain at the next HSA-1 meeting. We'll be at Pirates & Wenches, and possibly the pool party if you'll be at one/both of those.

Tom