General observations

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
OK, I purchased a 1976 Newport 28 on Sept 11th in Portland OR. Kind of ironic since my current boat is a Neptune 24 , been very happy with it for the last 9 years. The boat is 100 miles away so have not spent a lot of time on it but took a 4 day weekend to work on boat and sail on the Colombia river.
Overall I am astonished that the deck is original, not a single piece of additional hardware has been installed in 40 years. This also gives me a blank slate since there are no options like Genoa tracks installed. I am currently using blocks attached to the toe rail for Genoa trim. I find that on a reach I need to trim outside of the lifelines & to get max windward performance I am trimming inside, need to figure out lead angles over the winter.
Sailing performance was exactly as expected, I did not buy this to be a race boat, however it is a lot better to wind than my shoal draft Neptune. The interior meets my needs nicely for a weekend cruiser. As close as I can figure around 2009 someone changed the layout and moved the galley to starboard foreword with the small nav station aft of it & the table has no leaf. This setup includes space for a gimballed stove which my wife is excited about. I assume this because I found a survey document from 2009 stating the value after the head & galley installs are complete & CY never showed this layout as an option. The overall workmanship is in keeping with Capital Yachts standards.
I have spent hours going through every nook and cranny cleaning, tinkering and cleaning some more and have not found an unexpected OH Sh** moment. The deck is solid, bronze sea cocks have been installed, 2 new group 27 batteries are in place and a host of other upgrades have been done. I believe this was ordered bare bones from the factory, it doesn't even have a masthead anchor light. I am hoping the mast is wired for one.
I will be hauling the boat later this month and trailering in it down to where I live for the winter and the associated projects.
I am a happy new member of the Newport 28 fleet. Hi All.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on the new addition to your family. Happy Sailing.