Gelcoat restorers or Wax?

• Thread starter Baron K. Brandstrom
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Baron K. Brandstrom

I recently purchased a 36 foot Catalina. The outer surfaces are faded, not bad, but I need to use something to restore them. What should I use on the sides and top. I read some articles about gel coat restorers. Should I use one of these products or wax. I look forward to your response. Baron/EXALTE DEI

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Do it now before it's too late.

Baron: I would recommend that you do something before it gets bad. I have used the Island Girl products and it works well for ME. I am not a fan of the acrylics (floor polish). My feeling is that this is a cover up and not a restoration of the gel coat. The Island Girl products are reasonably price and worth a look. If your gel coat is really shot then maybe the acrylic finishes are a good option. If you need to get all the oxidation off anyway before you apply the acrylics then you have done most of the work. Making it shine again is not that big of a deal.

D

Dick Carey

Liquid Compound AND T-Wax

I have used (with recommendations) a Liquid Compound and Color Restorer (I used Dolphinite) and hand polished it then machine buffed it. I followed that with a liquid Teflon Wax (I used Dolphinite T-Wax) hand polished it and machine buffed it. It came out fine. It is not either one or the other, it is both. Good luck. Dick, S/V Puffin

Status
Not open for further replies.