Gel coat scoring and rough spots

Mar 5, 2021
Catalina 14.2 Somers Pt
My new Catalina 14.2 has scoring from the bow to the transom on port and starboard along with two others that arrived with it, less pronounced on those. Also two flowered irregular rough spots in gelcoat. Told by dealer this is aceptable and normal. Seems it should be covered by the workmanship warranty. Photos attached. Any suggesstions ? The boat is still at the dealers as I refused to take it home this way.

Attachments

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Unacceptable and not normal. Should have been corrected at the factory.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The scoring looks like a waterline. The other rough spots need to be fixed at no cost to you.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
No waterline . Hasn't left the dealers showroom/warehouse.
I meant a scribed waterline. It was intentional to show where the waterline should be. This makes it easier to paint or gelcoat a waterline stripe. If done in the mold the the waterline gelcoat would fill the scribed line. Some class associations, like the Flying Scot, require the line.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Must be the “new normal”. I totally agree with you assessment and would not accept delivery until corrected to your satisfaction.

Nov 30, 2020
Macgregor 22 Dania, FL
Maybe, just maybe a compromise is in order. Is the rough spot under the waterline? Are you going to paint it with anti-fouling paint anyway? If yes to both of these, then fill it up level and go ahead and paint. Otherwise insist on a real gelcoat repair.

Chip V.
s/v Sand Dollar

Mar 5, 2021
Catalina 14.2 Somers Pt
I meant a scribed waterline. It was intentional to show where the waterline should be. This makes it easier to paint or gelcoat a waterline stripe. If done in the mold the the waterline gelcoat would fill the scribed line. Some class associations, like the Flying Scot, require the line.
Dave,
You may be correct as it runs down both sides from transom to stern in about the right spot. It doesn't have a waterline and the brochure shows one, so it might have been accidentally shipped without it. It seems to be too deep in the spot shown, it is less pronounced closer to the transom and on the starboard side. They may have stopped including the waterline paint and material sticks to the location on the mold where it was sanded down less than the remainder of it. The dealer didn't even mention this and where is the quality control for these boats ?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You want a proper gelcoat repair on those "flowered irregular rough spots in gelcoat". Gelcoat is what stops water from setting to the fiberglass of the hull. No gelcoat an opportunity for blisters to develop in a boat that is in the water 24-7.

New boat should be presented "NEW". Not a little rough here and there. You could have purchased a used boat if that was acceptable and saved about 20%.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Private message sent to poster for additional info. Frank Butler is deceased and Gerry Douglas has retired. I gave name and phone number to poster asking for his number

Jun 5, 2014
In response to J Conte's new Catalina 14.2, we would like to clear up the concern regarding the factory scribe marks and possible gel coat issues. Please look at the two pictures that I took with a pen in my hand pointing out the factory scribe mark on a sister C. 14.2 in our showroom. The hull comes out of the mold with these marks as a reference for the owner's to set their paint line. Understanding J Conte's concern and dislike of the scribe marks in his new boat, we have removed them and buffed the areas. Regarding the possible needed gel coat repair in his picture that was posted, it turns out to be dirt that was removed with a rag and solvent. See the photos of the aft section of the hull attached. I do my best to make sure my customers are happy.

IMG_5470.jpg
IMG_5471.jpg
IMG_5464.jpg
IMG_5467.jpg
IMG_5462.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I spoke all parties behind the scenes to a resolve I hope.
It has been years selling this boat too. It use to be on the 14.2 a waterline gel coat stripe but now it is a scribe mark to indicate the actual waterline which is good if bottom painting the hull; otherwise I would apply bottom paint up to an inch of the water line tape/gel coat stripe.
As for the mast being tied, I used to tie it off to the outboard motor bracket. If no motor mount, then I either made a mast carry bracket attached to the rudder brackets on the transom or on top of the transom with a cushioning material tied to the bracket so the mast and transom would not rub together. No issue there.

I do not know if the boat was not tied or not over the transom but was assured no damage by the dealer whom I know and trust.

As for pictures, yes they can be deceiving but I blow up pictures as I have a trained eye what to look for being a former investigator. Yes, I did see something. A compounding with wax is what took care of hull issues which I would have done as a dealer.

The above response came from the dealer whom I was grateful for and trust his explanation which I appreciated. Sadly he has mistrust for me. I hope not. @scarletfevor

AS FOR CATALINA YACHTS, THEY ARE WELL BUILT. As with any relationship communication can be an issue. Hopefully this explains my position and pray all is well