Gel coat product recommendations

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
This is for a '91 H23, but I imagine it is pretty standard across the various boats. I realize that I am not going to get a real color match, but may as well get as close as possible.
I had some scratching and gouging on the hull when a rear dock line snapped. I don't think I need a gallon, probably more like a pint or quart. I have seen a few different product types (with or lacking wax, etc.). I have never used the gel coat to do this. so have no experience. Some indicate being thicker for application on a vertical surface.
What product types (and brands) have people used and would recommend? Ideally, one that has the "close match" for that Hunter year, but I suppose generic white would do. I could try to do some color matching but would have no idea what tint to buy for the color Hunter used. Thanks.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I used fiberglast brand polyester gel coat. I rented their color books before ordering. The White came out perfect, blue and beige not quite as good but close for tinting.

Aug 16, 2016
Pacific Dolphin 24 Phoenix, Arizona
I use the gel coat from Jamestown Direct. A quart is about $37 and the colors match an Awlgrip color chart. I also got the small tubes of tint for fine adjustment. For me that was White, Yellow and Brown. Match the tint to an adjacent surface before you add the catalyst. Once you're satisfied, catalyze and either brush on or use a Preval sprayer.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I used fiberglast brand polyester gel coat. I rented their color books before ordering. The White came out perfect, blue and beige not quite as good but close for tinting.
Les was kind enough to lend me his gelcoat last year (for almost six months, albeit it was winter!!!:)). The white he chose was perfect for my hull, too. I didn't need/use his color samples.

IMG_20180711_152738 (Medium).jpg

Just make sure you learn technique, too. Catalina Yachts manuals for our boats have good instructions; they're basic and can be found the internet. Start in an inconspicuous place. Good luck.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Wish I had a white hull. It would make it much easier. But beige be what we got and trying to match a 30 year sun faded hull should be fun. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Remember the wax as gel coat will not dry in plain air. Also regular Gardner found in hardware stores will not work as it takes a higher grade hardner. @sailinmikenaz was spot on for the pigments but remember they are oil based and not water based. Ask if gel contains the wax. The forum store sells a small jar which will harden up as it is designed that way when the hardner is added. Using a preval sprayer constantly wipe nozzle and you will need to thin so it will go thru nozzle