GCR IV for John

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dennis Kiefer

Geez John.... Gimme a break! I transposed two initials. I should have taken more care when I abbreviated. It should be GCR as in Great Circle Route... No, this does not have anything to do with navigation or the sphere of the earth. The Great Circle Route is the name given to this particular journey because it can end in the same location at which it begins. I'm certain it could have been named the Big Circle Route (BCR) but Great Circle Route sounds better.... don't you think? I think I'll just call it My Fun Trip (MFT) to avoid confusing folks like yourself. Kief

J

John Visser

I'm not the one who's confused...

Kief, I'm sorry you thought I was giving you a hard time, I wasn't - I was trying to understand what you meant. Concerning great circle routes: this term has a very specific meaning in navigation, so to use it to refer to a big trip that ends in the same place as it began is to introduce confusion. I know what you mean now. Regards, jv

A

Andy Howard

Whatever you call it

It sounds like a great trip... Let me suggest a series of cruising guides by Claiborne Young. Check out this website: http://www.cruisingguide.com/index.html This guy is famous for detailed local knowledge about various anchorages and detours off the beaten (ICW)path. As far as the type of boat for your trip, I think your on the right track by concentrating on the hardest parts of the trip, the Gulf Stream and Lakes.

J

John Visser

Boat recommendation

The boat I really wanted ot get before I got the C-36 is the Com-pac 23 witha diesel. This is a very strongly built shoal draft keel boat, trailerable, that is available from the factory with diesel auxiliary. They go for about $32k new including the trailer, as I recall.

H

hp

up the ditch

Besides motoring a lot of the ICW, the Hudson R. and Erie Canal will require motoring and and you will also be stepping your mast a lot, so that is also a consideration when you buy a boat. I have never been on the Erie Canal but I've seen it and its not very wide. You will have some great sailing in the Great Lakes, predominate SW winds in summer. You can follow the famous Pt. Huron to Mackinac race route! Lake levels are expected to be low again this summer. You will also be motoring much of the Miss/Tenn-Tom but you will also have current in your favor at times. Are you sure you shouldn't buy a trawler? You may be motoring more than sailing!

J

Jim Ewing

In Kief's defense

No less an authority than Bluewater Books (the center of the known chart universe) offers a product from the Great Circle Company titled "Great Circle Waterway Map". Just as there are more than one "tacks" there can be more than one "Great Circles". I prefer the proper sailing term "Rhumb line" rather than the aviator's "Great Circle Route" anyway... 8^) Anyway, Kief. I'm looking at doing that trip as well. The previous posters are correct about the amount of motoring vs. sailing you'll be able to do. The Mac26 is interesting because of its speed potential. I used to cruise in a Catalina 22 and man it get's real small after a couple of days. Most of the other smaller boats will suffer from similar shortcomings. Have you considered a Catalina 27? Nice accomodations, a turn of speed, and places to put stuff. If you've got a truck it's even trailerable. Hope you have a great trip. Jim h37.5 "Prospect"

T

Tom Lincoln

Ain't confusing just a diferet point of view

Dennis, The GRC is fairly well known on the Great Lakes, don't understand all the confussion and splainin. I have also heard it called "Americas Great Loop Cruise" Sounds like a great plan but I think you need to consider a little larger boat and particularly a boat with an inboard diesel. You will be motoring more than sailing. The most common boat used for this trip is a trawler. I would suggest you get a copy of "Honey Let's Get a Boat" This is a humorous trawler story but is great reading in regard to the areas you plan to sail/motor. The couple bought a trawler and with very little boating experience completed this trip in about a year.They were on a very steep learning curve particularly in the begining, boat handeling etc...

J

jvisser

Reference for marine navigation terminology

see http://164.214.12.145/pubs/pubs_j_apn_sections.html?rid=100 This is the on-line copy of Bowditch's "American Practical Navigator," the bible of marine navigation. Regarding Jim's comment in the previous reply: "I prefer the proper sailing term "Rhumb line" rather than the aviator's "Great Circle Route" This is incorrect. Great circle route is not specific to marine navigation, and it is not equivalent to rhumb line. A rhumb line is a plotted line that makes the same angle with all of the meridians it crosses. See pages 3 and 4 of chapter one of the the above reference. jv

D

Dennis Kiefer

Ya gotta love it!

Thanks so much for the great conversation regarding this trip. I've been enriched by your comments..... even you John ;>) I had hoped to hear from those who've done it and those who would like to. I did and that heartens me greatly. God willing, I will begin this thing next April and follow the seasons.. Saving and making money right now to ensure that happens. Obviously need a large budget to go debtless and a large amount of time (with an income). Your suggestions regarding a trawler are definite food for thought. That is the vessel of choice for many people but I have been smitten with sailing for quite a while and, as was pointed out, the Glakes in the summer is beautiful and the Bahamas provide some of the best sailing waters in the world. A trailerable (without using a Peterbilt) motorsailer with a centerboard seems the most logical. It should be diesel powered for economy and rugged enough to see me through, confidently, as much as 10 foot seas (only in case I get caught in a blow or goof crossing the Gulf Stream). A pilot house and bimini make sense because of the varying weather and necessary comfort. The ability to lower the mast single handed is imperative and it should also be easy to sail solo. The diesel should be powerful enough to cruise the waterways - 27HP Yanmar? As far as having a larger boat - I guess I think larger is not necessarily better. Also the exponential rise in cost/foot gets bizarre..... Right now the Nimble Kodiak motorsailer fits the bill pretty well. It is pricier than many in that league but the Ted Brewer design provides pedigree and I have spoken to Jerry Koch, the builder, regarding the way it is built. Impressive. The design is traditional in the Brewer fashion and appears to make use of technology in a sensible way. If anyone is curious... you may or may not be interested....I am financing this and taking the time off to do it because I'm self-employed. My web site is www.timeplusmoney.com Fair winds and following seas..... would enjoy hearing from any one of you with further advice/comments/dreams/techniques/geography. dkiefer1@bellsouth.net Kief....

J

jvisser

Fair winds

Good luck, Kief. I would seriously consider the Com-pac 23, which is a trailerable sailboat with a diesel engine available. jv

R

R.W.Landau

Some more planning

Keif, It is a good time to look into things like what coarse to ster to Bimini. Two years ago, I missed the trip, my brothers and father sailed out of Ft. lauderdale in my dad's 32 Allied Seawind. Before the trip, My brother in Maine had located a source for the route to Bimini. If you are going, it requires a birth certificate and also a knmowlege about Quarantine and just getting in. If I recal correctly, one of the instruction was to go to port around a marker, come to 75' from shore and follow the shore to the next mark. Current through bimini are a direct result of the gulf stream. If you want I will try to find this info for you. I could pump my family for details on the best of the two bars and which one has the good seafood. r.w.landau

L

Larry Johnson

Storage/marinas on the way

I have been looking into doing this loop, but unfortunately I can not take the time off to do it all in one shot. I have thought about the possibility of doing it in stages. That is, sailing for a few weeks and then pulling the boat out of the water and storing it for a few months until I can come back and continue on the trip. How easy is it to find storage for a sail boat along the way? I am sure that cost and availability will vary considerably, but my biggest worry is getting to an area that it is just impossible to find a place to 'park' a boat for a few months. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.