Gauges!

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I recently noticed that my temperature gauge on my Admiral's Panel was not working (reading 200ºF when the motor was off!) so I pulled it. The PO had the Admiral's Panel installed in 2004, and it had been wired so that the gauge illumination was on anytime that the key was "ON." Looking at the gauge, I believe that my trip down the ICW last fall (6-10 hour days of motoring) caused the incandescent bulb to overheat the gauge and melt the insulation. There is a slight discoloration of the housing near the bulb, and the housing of the gauge where the bulb twists in was broken and brittle.

My plan is to replace ALL the gauges with new ones. The price from Westerbeke is ridiculous, so I will be using Faria Marine Instruments instead. The NEW gauges will be Faria (~$30/ea); 12812 (coolant), 12803 (oil press), 12821 (volt). These appear to be equivalent to Westerbeke (over $70/ea) 37601 (coolant), 37603 (OP), 37605 (volt). I will also wire the gauge illumination to only come on when I power the running lights circuit. I am further considering switching the illumination to LEDs.

The coolant temperature gauge arrived today. While it seems to be SLIGHTLY smaller in diameter than the Westerbeake, I am certain that it will fit. I may put a perimeter of electrical tape on the gauge to make sure that it is snug and waterproof.

Below are front and rear pictures of the Faria gauges and the mounting bracket.

I hope this helps someone! :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
One additional difference; the Westerbeke gauges use 194 bulbs, and the Faria use 161 bulbs.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
To reduce the lightbulbs burning the gauges I inserted 2 diodes in series with the 12v circuit. This reduces the voltage by 1.5v and slightly dimmer, but no burning of the gauges.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
The coolant temperature gauge is installed. It fits great and is easier to read than the Westerbeake gauge. I also connected the gauge illumination to the running light circuit.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Why not use a digital voltage gage? The output will likely be an LED (cool)? I realize you already have the analog gauge. Maybe it can be returned for credit?

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I have a $300 SmartGauge (I DON'T recommend them) and a $30 BlueTooth volt meter / histogram tool (I HIGHLY recommend this) onboard.

The analog volt meter at the helm is simply to show that the charging system is good, or not.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I hope this helps someone! :)
It really doesn't help me. It just makes me jealous. Ha ha.
Seriously, your thought process is great. You will be so happy when its completed.
I have had to replace the temp and fuel gauge so far. I like the faria style options. At the present two out of three are new. The next will be the Volt Meter. My panel does not have a spot for an oil gauge. That would be nice.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
All three have been replaced my Admiral's Panel. I replaced the incandescent 168 bulbs with red LEDs. Also, I wired the gauges into the steaming light circuit instead of the running light circuit, as I posted above.

@twodzusfittings - I suggest that the volt meter should be swapped out for an oil pressure gauge (you'll have to install a sender). Because you don't have room for three gauges, instead of installing a volt meter, install one of these and pair it with your phone: https://www.amazon.com/BUNKER-INDUST-Bluetooth-Wireless-Automotive/dp/B07GP1RXYZ/ref=sr_1_4

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I have an overabundance of battery voltage readers on board. Well really only three sets. One is an analogue on the distribution panel (old). The second, is a power outlet digital display and the third is part of my Solar monitoring system. All three can show both batteries. The Volt gauge may really be an amp meter. It's been a while since I was last at the boat. I use it to make sure the alternator is functioning. But thanks for the suggestion.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I replaced the incandescent 168 bulbs with red LEDs.
eherlihy - can you post where you got the LEDs for the gauges? I put together a new panel with Faria gauges (adding a tach and oil pressure) which is waiting to be installed. When I looked for replacement LEDs, the ones I found seemed to be too bright. Thanks.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I have an overabundance of battery voltage readers on board. Well really only three sets. One is an analogue on the distribution panel (old). The second, is a power outlet digital display and the third is part of my Solar monitoring system. All three can show both batteries. The Volt gauge may really be an amp meter. It's been a while since I was last at the boat. I use it to make sure the alternator is functioning. But thanks for the suggestion.
If it is an ammeter without a shunt it is a fire hazard, and it prevents your charging system from operating as effectively as it should. REMOVE IT and update the wiring to account for its removal ASAP.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
eherlihy - can you post where you got the LEDs for the gauges? I put together a new panel with Faria gauges (adding a tach and oil pressure) which is waiting to be installed. When I looked for replacement LEDs, the ones I found seemed to be too bright. Thanks.
The LEDs that I purchased were these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V29R2RJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

I have not been on the boat after dark yet, so I cannot determine if they are "too bright." However, the LEDs are red, the panel is not in my line of sight (at my shin level), and now only illuminated when the steaming light is on, so I don't think it will be a problem. The Faria gauges use 168 size push in bulbs. The Westerbeake gauges use 194 bulbs soldered into a T10 twist socket.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
dmax
Where did you get the tach? What kind is it and how much did it cost?

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
It was about $70 from defender - I wanted to get a Faria to match the others but couldn't find one for diesel so went with a Sea Star:

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
Thanks. Is there any reason that you can think of why it would not work with a high output alternator?

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
No reason that I know of but then again, I really don't know, haven't hooked mine up yet. Sounds like a good MaineSail question :)

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
What does the angular velocity of the crankshaft have to do with the type of fuel consumed by the engine? Are gas engine tachs run off the electrical system for the spark plugs?

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
A gas engine tach can run off impulses from the coil whereas diesel has to use the alternator - the coil would be more accurate. The tachs available for boats specificy they are either for gas or diesel.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
New gauges at night with LED illumination. Note that it appears brighter and fuzzier than IRL, because of camera exposure. The panel above and to the left is for anchor, steaming, running, and foredeck lights. The circuits that are green are energized, and those that are red are not. When this picture was taken the steaming and running lights are on, but the engine is off.
This panel is not distracting at all, and almost as bright as the instrument panel.

20210215_190631[1].jpg