Gate stanchion base plate replacement

CBBH38

Jul 5, 2017
Hunter 38 Chesapeake Boat Basin
Gate stanchion base.jpg
I have a starboard gate stanchion on a 2006 Hunter 38 which broke off at the base plate. How do you go about getting to the base plate to replace it? I have the replacement parts, but cannot seem to find a way to get to the interior to remove the damaged baseplate.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
CB That is a bummer. No experience with hunter stanchions but as I have read Hunter uses an in fiberglass metal plate to attach hardware. The items I have seen all have screws that go from the top into the plate. This does not look to be your case in your photo.

I would start looking for a through bolt or bolts underneath the deck in the area of the stanchion. This my require some headliner removal to see the area beneath the deck where the bolts may be lurking.

My experience with stainless stanchions is that the base can be welded back on to the post. Usually, due to the weld, a stronger connection than the original design. You might examine this as it may save you a few bucks in new metal. Stainless can be polished after the welding and look bright and shiny new.

These things never fail at the end of the sailing season.

Oct 22, 2014
CB
Here is a picture from the SBO Hunter Shop showing the base of the stanchion with holes to screw down to the deck. Makes me wonder if the PO may have had a self design stanchion made.
upload_2017-7-5_8-21-16.jpeg

CBBH38

Jul 5, 2017
Thanks,
Welding may be the easiest option. It appears that otherwise, I will need to just about strip the inside of the boat.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
coil that rectangular piece be just snap on? Try plying it out? Perhaps mounting screws beneath it.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Hunter replacement stanchions

From current Marlow-Hunter boats to the classic cherubinis of the 80s, we have most stanchions and bases available, many of them in stock for quick shipment.
See the product

Nathan

Oct 5, 2014
Hunter 31 Plattsburgh
Did you finally found a way to do it?

I just did the one near the head (bathroom), was a PITA, but i have two other more to do (near front cabin and midle near sink) i really down know how to get to them!!

CBBH38

Jul 5, 2017
gate stanchion.jpg
I can see how to get to the one over the head sink. Mine is on the starboard side and is the forward gate stanchion which is connected as per your photo with two bolts. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to the bolts.

Nathan

Oct 5, 2014
Hunter 31 Plattsburgh
Is this the front bedroom starboard side? Looks like rear bedroom from out boat..

Ill need to get a look next time i go back, hard to say from this picture.
I found the way to fix the other ones, but i'll try to get back to you for this one!

CBBH38

Jul 5, 2017
Just to close this out, I had to cut into the headliner of the back berth to get to the bolts holding the gate stanchion in. This was a delicate job due to the proximity of the outside fiberglass -- the clearance in places is less than an inch. Once this was done, the remainder of the job was a snap.

Attachments

Bob 41

Jun 28, 2004
Hunter 41 Chatham
What did you use to bed your new stanchion base? I have the exact same stanchion looking identically to this on our 41AC. Did you buy the new base and stanchion or did you have it repaired?

Oct 22, 2014
What did you use to bed your new stanchion base?
Best stuff for bedding stanchions, and other deck harware is Bed-It Tape. It is a butyl tape that has a proper adhesive property to securely caulk these items keeping water out of the boat.