Gas storage

Jul 12, 2020
O'day 272 Inlet Watch Yacht Club
Hey all,
We have a 272. It has a 6 gallon gas tank. Thinking it might be prudent to get a 5 gallon gas can on board. Anyone doing this and if so, where do you keep it?
I was thinking maybe in the anchor storage area. We have seen Anchor hangers that would free up space in the anchor locker.

Ideas???

Thanks,

Jesse

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Can you find a way to simply replace the existing tank with a larger one? Some modification would be worth the effort. An anchor locker is probably the worst place to store gasoline.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Are you talking about bringing in an additional 5 gallon gasoline can in addition of the 6 gallon operating tank so that you will have more fuel range? Let me tell you what we do for trips in our trailerable. We will attach a 5 gallon can to the stanchions of our 223 with bungy cords. We run a 9.8HP 2 Stroke Nissan but will not mix oil into the can until we get ready to transfer to the 3.5 gallon operating tank. This way if we have gasoline left over at the end of the trip well put it into the tow vehicle. Do not recommend storing gasoline aboard when the boat is not in use.

Jul 12, 2020
Can you find a way to simply replace the existing tank with a larger one? Some modification would be worth the effort. An anchor locker is probably the worst place to store gasoline.
Hey Don,

The 272 has a lazarette specifically designed for a 6 gallon fuel tank. It is aft under the seat in the cockpit. Theoretically, something could be modified, but the boat is in Charleston and we are in Wilmington, and plan to move it up the coast in a couple of weeks. The extra gas can is mostly insurance that we won't run out of fuel in the event we have to motor the ICW. I think once we are in our home dock, we wouldn't really need the extra "insurance" fuel.

Thanks for your input!

Jesse

Jul 12, 2020
Are you talking about bringing in an additional 5 gallon gasoline can in addition of the 6 gallon operating tank so that you will have more fuel range? Let me tell you what we do for trips in our trailerable. We will attach a 5 gallon can to the stanchions of our 223 with bungy cords. We run a 9.8HP 2 Stroke Nissan but will not mix oil into the can until we get ready to transfer to the 3.5 gallon operating tank. This way if we have gasoline left over at the end of the trip well put it into the tow vehicle. Do not recommend storing gasoline aboard when the boat is not in use.
Hey Bennie,

That sounds like a plan. Thanks for your input!

Jesse

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
What kind of engine do you have? My old 272LE had a 10/2 Westerbeke diesel, with a 9 gallon tank from the factory all the way aft just inside of the transom. 9 gallons of diesel lasted me forever, at a rate of about 3 hours a gallon....

Jul 12, 2020
What kind of engine do you have? My old 272LE had a 10/2 Westerbeke diesel, with a 9 gallon tank from the factory all the way aft just inside of the transom. 9 gallons of diesel lasted me forever, at a rate of about 3 hours a gallon....
It has a 9.9 Yamaha outboard.

Jesse

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
In addition to what Benny wrote, it is dangerous to keep gasoline in any "non specifically designed for" lazarette's . Gasoline fumes lay low. If you stored a container in a lazarette it is possible that fumes would leak into your cabin. Lets say you light a stove or a lamp. The aftermath is not pretty. Gasoline containers should be strapped to stanchions and remain above board. If you are handy and creative, specially designed container holders can be made easily out of marine plywood, azeek board (pvc) or starboard.

Attachments

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
IMHO, you should not stow/store outboard gasoline on the boat either above or below deck when you’re off the boat. But if you’re going to, lash the fuel tank to the stern rail so if it leaks, the gas will hopefully run out the gunnel to “wherever.”:( This is also the best place to stow outboard fuel when underway, which I think is your question.

The only good way to dispose of unused gasoline following a cruise that I’ve found is to pour/transfer it into the auto’s tank and start with fresh gasoline each cruise. I have one of those cheapo transfer pumps for that. Mixed gasoline for 2-stroke outboards is more of a problem. I basically do what Benny described when on a cruise. Keep fresh gasoline unmixed until ready to use it; put in only the amount needed as best I can estimate as I use it. A few ounces left over is not a big threat, so you may be able to treat the container as empty at that point. Old gasoline with EtOH is not good for the outboards anyway. So, that’s another reason not to keep and try to stow/store unused gasoline for long.

BTW. If you want to put the gasoline-filled tank somewhere on the boat where it will ride during a cruise until you need to get it out for use, that’s STOWING. If you want to put it somewhere to rest between cruises rather than to discard it (the gasoline) that would be STORING. Interchanging the terms leads to some variation in responses.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Keeping the proper vapor space in the can (well built and sealed) is key. Most screw up by filling it up to the top then when the gasoline expands from heat it fails the seals. The vapor space allows for expansion and contraction (to a point).

Jul 12, 2020
Keeping the proper vapor space in the can (well built and sealed) is key. Most screw up by filling it up to the top then when the gasoline expands from heat it fails the seals. The vapor space allows for expansion and contraction (to a point).
Thank you. Did not know that.

Jesse

Jul 12, 2020
IMHO, you should not stow/store outboard gasoline on the boat either above or below deck when you’re off the boat. But if you’re going to, lash the fuel tank to the stern rail so if it leaks, the gas will hopefully run out the gunnel to “wherever.”:( This is also the best place to stow outboard fuel when underway, which I think is your question.

The only good way to dispose of unused gasoline following a cruise that I’ve found is to pour/transfer it into the auto’s tank and start with fresh gasoline each cruise. I have one of those cheapo transfer pumps for that. Mixed gasoline for 2-stroke outboards is more of a problem. I basically do what Benny described when on a cruise. Keep fresh gasoline unmixed until ready to use it; put in only the amount needed as best I can estimate as I use it. A few ounces left over is not a big threat, so you may be able to treat the container as empty at that point. Old gasoline with EtOH is not good for the outboards anyway. So, that’s another reason not to keep and try to stow/store unused gasoline for long.

BTW. If you want to put the gasoline-filled tank somewhere on the boat where it will ride during a cruise until you need to get it out for use, that’s STOWING. If you want to put it somewhere to rest between cruises rather than to discard it (the gasoline) that would be STORING. Interchanging the terms leads to some variation in responses.
Thank you for your input!!!

Jesse

Jul 12, 2020
In addition to what Benny wrote, it is dangerous to keep gasoline in any "non specifically designed for" lazarette's . Gasoline fumes lay low. If you stored a container in a lazarette it is possible that fumes would leak into your cabin. Lets say you light a stove or a lamp. The aftermath is not pretty. Gasoline containers should be strapped to stanchions and remain above board. If you are handy and creative, specially designed container holders can be made easily out of marine plywood, azeek board (pvc) or starboard.
Nice!!!

Thanks,

Jesse