Gary Jobson autograph

Feb 5, 2011
Irwin Mark IV Concord Yacht Club
image.jpg
I bought the Ted turner/ Gary jobson book “The racing Edge” at a Goodwill and found this signature in the front cover. Any idea if it’s legit?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Google handwriting verification or the like. Or Gary Jobson signature. There is somebody out there that can verify it. I did the same thing for a Admiral Halsey signed naval post card.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Could be worth millions if legit. Be careful though, the Gary Jobson counterfeit autograph industry is real.
Millions? Seriously? So show me the factual documentation that supports your claim of millions.............

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
I Open the bidding at 6 million. Six Million?
To the man in the hat . Do I have 6.25? 6.25?
To the lady sitting in the middle
Can I get 6.5? 6.5? ......................................

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I tend to agree with cb32863. Not really sure about millions. BUT, that being said... I have an authenticated Gary Jobson signature.
The story is worth listening to...I had a commemorative plate given to me in 1974 from the 1974 Americas Cup Race in Newport, RI, between Courageous and Southern Cross. I've kept this plate all these years and in 2010 at the Newport International Boat Show they had an after Boat Show Seminar featuring the participants of past Americas Cup races. I carried this plate around the Boat Show, wrapped in bubble wrap, in a cushioned bag all day long just waiting for this seminar.
We were sitting, front row center, next to a man and his wife who were on the committee boat for the races, who couldn't keep their hands off the plate, waiting for.....Gary Jobson, Ted Turner and Ted Hood (he couldn't be there) and 3 others from teams of other years races.
When they entered the stage I went up and asked if they would sign my plate. They both remembered the plate and time in 1974, I almost thought I wasn't going to get it back at one point as it was passed around to everyone.
They signed it and said they didn't even have one of their own. Later the next week or so I called Ted Hood in Portsmouth and asked if he would sign the plate. He agreed and said he didn't have one either.
So that's why I can show you an authentic signature, you do the comparison.
Millions? I don't think so. Fun to have, definitely.

Attachments

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Those plates are fing beautiful !!!!! I am reading the biography of Ted Turner right now. I am at the part where they are going to the second cup challenge and Jobson is writing on the first time he meant Ted and sailed with him. A fun read

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Way Cool. :)
Keep it out of direct sunlight wherever it is displayed.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Thank you. They are nice to look at and we enjoy them. The plates are a real conversation piece to everyone who looks at them.
I didn't have the Southern Cross plate at the same time, or I would have gotten that signed also.
I came across that plate from an old high school friend who's sister moved to Australia right after we all graduated from high school and then came back for a visit. She put me in touch with a man in Australia who had it and wanted $4.00 (US) for it at the time.
I didn't know it would cost me 5 times that to get it shipped here, but it was worth it. And it took almost 3 weeks to get here!
We do keep them out of the sun and separated. I don't think they get along with each other.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I tend to agree with cb32863. Not really sure about millions. BUT, that being said... I have an authenticated Gary Jobson signature.
The story is worth listening to...I had a commemorative plate given to me in 1974 from the 1974 Americas Cup Race in Newport, RI, between Courageous and Southern Cross. I've kept this plate all these years and in 2010 at the Newport International Boat Show they had an after Boat Show Seminar featuring the participants of past Americas Cup races. I carried this plate around the Boat Show, wrapped in bubble wrap, in a cushioned bag all day long just waiting for this seminar.
We were sitting, front row center, next to a man and his wife who were on the committee boat for the races, who couldn't keep their hands off the plate, waiting for.....Gary Jobson, Ted Turner and Ted Hood (he couldn't be there) and 3 others from teams of other years races.
When they entered the stage I went up and asked if they would sign my plate. They both remembered the plate and time in 1974, I almost thought I wasn't going to get it back at one point as it was passed around to everyone.
They signed it and said they didn't even have one of their own. Later the next week or so I called Ted Hood in Portsmouth and asked if he would sign the plate. He agreed and said he didn't have one either.
Thats pretty badass.

Feb 5, 2011
So based on your plate, the signature looks legit. Thanks.

Feb 5, 2011
Those plates are fing beautiful !!!!! I am reading the biography of Ted Turner right now. I am at the part where they are going to the second cup challenge and Jobson is writing on the first time he meant Ted and sailed with him. A fun read
Enjoy the read. I sat next to a guy on my flight to DC this morn who worked for him for 15 years. He verified Turner's a bad-mama-jama!

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
So back in 1981 I had an S2 Grand Slam 6.7 one design. S2 in promoting the one design organized the Grand Slam Nationals In Holland Michigan. It was a couple of days of racing and clinics. Gary Jobson was brought in to do clinics and coach in some of the racing.

Well after a few legs of racing instruction Gary decides to get on my boat and give us some personal coaching. He takes the tiller, starts giving instructions and in the “heat” of competition (I’ll use that term very loosely), takes my brand new boat and proceeds to scraped the full length of it on one of the Coast Guard navigation buoys. Then says OK time to go and gets picked off my boat with a “have a nice day“.

Not even a sorry I damaged your boat. He did not even acknowledge it as we scraped the full length of the green mark. Cost me over a thousand to have that gash fixed And he could not even acknowledge he did it.

Lost all respect for the man and have no use for him. You’d have to pay me to take is autograph.

Sour grapes I know but it is what it is. Clearly he was used to sailing with people who have a lot more money and for who the boat is just a thing that you throw money at. His lack of respect or care with my pride and joy left me stunned.

Last edited: