Garmin products to delicate intended use

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Last year I bought a Garmin VivoActive HR smart watch for the specific purpose to use while sailing. It seemed like a good choice because it is waterproof, and has built in GPS. There are at least 6 different sailing apps for the watch. The watch is 1 year and 1 month old. The case broke where the band attaches. I wear my watch in reverse - meaning the watch is on the inside of my arm, rather than the outside. This means that is has not ever impacted anything. It has only seen normal use. The case broke while it was under my jacket sleeve. I'm not sure what the intended use for this watch is, but apparently they don't intend for you to actually wear it. The attachment point is too weak for normal use. Its very frustrating as I assumed that a company like Garmin made reasonably decent products. This evidence strongly suggests otherwise. The watch is now completely useless. You pay a premium for the Garmin name, and assume you get what you pay for. Searching the Garmin forums, this is a common failure. This watch is garbage. Who would buy a product knowing it will fail one month out of warranty? I hate being ripped off.
Incidentally, Garmin will repair the watch for more than it costs new. What a joke.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Who would buy a product knowing it will fail one month out of warranty? I hate being ripped off.
Unfortunately, it's not just Garmin. I could show a list of name products that have failed me recently. I just sent a Bushnell product back to the factory to be analyzed and hopefully repaired.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I wear my watch in reverse - meaning the watch is on the inside of my arm, rather than the outside.
This may be where your problem lies. If I understand how you wear your watch, my guess would be that the load on the case body was not designed for the loads induced by wearing it in reverse.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
This may be where your problem lies. If I understand how you wear your watch, my guess would be that the load on the case body was not designed for the loads induced by wearing it in reverse.
Huh? The load on the case would be the same - the straps lead away from the watch's body and curve around your wrist. Any difference in the radius of the turn described by the straps will be the strap's problem, not the watch body's.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
He's saying he wears it 180 degrees around his arm. He's not saying "inside-out".

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I had their version of a fit bit. I hope their empire is not dependent on that item. And I wore it the traditional way. And, I can't get that crappy software off my computer.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
That is surprising about the Vivoactive HR durability. Is the housing plastic or metal on the HR?
I considered one but went with the Samsung Gear S3 instead which seems to be quite rugged but doesn't have any good sailing apps. For boating, it looks like the Garmin Quatix 5 is the way to go since it connects with navigation instruments and can control your autopilot. It is a stainless steel housing so should be fairly durable.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I know lots of people that work at Garmin. On the whole, their products are well designed (for their purposes) and well built. I had an HR when I was beta-testing RaceQs watch app, and it seemed pretty well built, but for sure the band had a pre-set curve to it and did not want that to be different. I just pinged a friend there, they’ve had no spike in HR band-related failures.

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
For what it's worth, I have a Garmin Vivoactive - not the HR model, the slimmer non-HR one - and I love it. It replaced my trusty Forerunner 201, which lasted for over ten years of marathons, half marathons, and the training regimen entailed. I only replaced my old one because after years of charging, the terminal points wore away and it would not take a charge any longer.

The new model is awesome and I've been impressed with everything about it with the exception of the data decal on the back (with the serial number, model number, etc.) - that thing came loose as a result of normal use, and I had to tape it in place - pretty low-rent performance for an expensive piece of gear.

I think that if you want something for rugged use, you'd probably need to look for something that is specifically in that category. That said it is always disappointing when something fails just out of warranty, that is never fun.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
The band did not fail. The case failed where the band attaches. There is just a real tiny thin piece of plastic that holds the pin/screw to the case. Not enough meat to do the job. I don't use it any sporting activity other than the elliptical. Otherwise it is just a normal daily use thing. I've never had any other watches break apart like that. Occasionally a plastic band will break after several years, but never a case. I wish there was a way to replace the case, but it is not offered online. Swapping the touch screen may be a little sketchy, but is probably doable. No good way to repair it by gluing the case. There is nothing to glue to.
One part of the frustration, other than money thrown away is the functionality is very good. I like having an always on display. The display is large. It will show a lot of data at once. The GPS is a little slow at updating, but at sailing speeds, it would be just fine. It has good functionality and good app support. I've gotten very use to it. Remote control of the Bluetooth speaker, so I can answer the phone while driving the RV. Sad part is, this past summer was very busy, which meant I never got a chance to use it sailing, which was the primary reason I chose the Garmin.
Doing a little search of the Garmin forums, I have discovered this does not seem to be uncommon. Doesn't seem to be any good solutions. I bought it on a Cyber Monday sale, so the repair cost is more than I paid for the watch.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Could be that your everyday use was never tested. Perhaps the beta testing was performed only when people wore it for sailing. Based on your hours sailing, the watch may have lasted 20 years if you only wore it when you were sailing. I'm not saying that they intended the watch to be worn only for sailing, but they may not have known it would be a problem until people like you started wearing it more permanently. My guess is that it is a problem that will eventually be corrected.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Huh? The load on the case would be the same - the straps lead away from the watch's body and curve around your wrist. Any difference in the radius of the turn described by the straps will be the strap's problem, not the watch body's.
Unless your wearing it to tight or resemble The Hulk, there shouldn't be much of a load on the case which is what broke. Most watches I've ever worn are worn loosely around the wrist. Maybe loosen up a little.