Garmin In Reach

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,

Just read Cruising World's assessment of offshore communications systems and Garmin In Reach was among those compared. Have they gotten the bugs worked out of them/anyone using them.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I've been using an inReach from day#1, basically throwing away my SPOT the day it launched. I had zero problems with it under both DeLorme and Garmin. What were the bugs you mention?

Oct 2, 2008
Pairing with smartphones for the text messages and/or navigation. I would be using mostly Apple products with the occasional Android so the ease of loading an app and simple start would be what I would like. I would also like to use the navigation and weather features as a back up to what I already have. With SSB radio there are days when getting the weather is a challenge. Having weather in understandable terms would be nice. Does yours ever take a nap while in use or have times when it doesn't get a good signal. Our cruising grounds have been the East Coast and Bahamas but we may venture more into the Caribbean. Our sons have asked us to be a little more in touch while out cruising so that means a few more texts just to let them know we're still afloat. The In Reach would be a good fit.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Our sons have asked us to be a little more in touch while out cruising
That's why we got ours too. How we used to keep track of the kids is what they are doing to us now. They get a position report every 4hrs. that they can track on their computers.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Our sons have asked us to be a little more in touch while out cruising so that means a few more texts just to let them know we're still afloat. The In Reach would be a good fit.
I have no idea what internet is like in the Bahamas, but if you have a portable internet device like a tablet, there is decent free internet available almost everywhere in the eastern Caribbean at a cafe' or bar. Even some of the supermarkets have it now.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I have an InReach, I use it when I go offshore, which for now is once a year. It works great. It easily paired with my iPhone and iPad. Never tried an Android.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Mine paired just fine with my Android phone. It's a lot easier to compose messages on a paired phone. The texting function on the unit is pretty unwieldy.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Been using my InReach for four years. Wouldn't go offshore on anyone's boat without an InReach. A couple of neat features:

1. On my boat it communicates fine from inside the cabin through the deck. While this would depend on your deck structure, others have told me this works for them too. So my InReach just sits on the chart table turned on and pugged in. Family know they can reach me anytime - so they worry less. Better, you can set the InReach to beep continuously if a new message arrives. This saves you from constantly checking the thing.

2. While I still have an EPIRB they are 40 year old technology. Amazing in the 1970's. I would use the InReach first in a distress situation because: a) I'll get a response so know that my message got through b) In a difficult but not yet life threatening situation, I can ask SAR to keep regular contact. With an EPIRB your only option is a full on "MAYDAY" which may not be what you need.

Here's a good video from Garmin:

Oct 2, 2008
Thank you CarlN, I spent a little time at Cabellas talking with an associate who uses his snowmobiling through northern Maine and Canada and the text feature has saved him several times after getting stuck. Seems like there's never enough gas in those machines or maybe they're having too much fun.

I see Garmin has four service plans with just enough information for a comparison.

Last edited: