Garmin GPS/MAP 4xx Series Card Reader with 64bit Windows OS

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
This will be of interest to a very narrow group. The short version is that Garmin has declined to supply 64 bit drivers for their proprietary card reader that is used for the 4xx series of their chartplotters. Unless you have a 32bit Windows OS - W7, XP, Vista - the card reader will not work with Garmin's MapSource or HomePort computer charting software. Garmin's solution is to simply buy a new chartplotter.
I fell into this situation after upgrading all of my Windows OS to either 8.1 or 10 - all 64bit.
So the only solution is to buy a dedicated W7 32bit system, create a dual-boot setup on a Windows 64 bit system, or create a virtual machine on your existing 64 bit machine.
I didn't want another dedicated machine just to talk to the Garmin card reader and there are technical reasons why you may not be able to establish a dual-boot setup on your 64bit computer, so I decided to create a virtual machine that is 32bit.
After trying Microsoft's Hyper-V software and getting nowhere, I used Oracle's Virtual Box application. This software is far from intuitive, but after a hundred hours or more, I have finally accomplished the goal of setting up a virtual machine running W7 32bit and I have the Garmin card reader operational.
Additionally with a working card reader, firmware updates to the GPS/MAP 4xx units is possible. For those of you with a 4xx unit, the latest firmware is version 3.40. I have a spare card that is programmed with this update and I will supply it to anyone who needs it.
If anyone wishes more information on Virtual Box as it applies to the Garmin application, just PM me.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
While I haven't tried it, another option might be to set up a Win7 Virtual Machine on a Mac. I run Win7 using Parallels on my MacBook Pro.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
I had some decent success with VMware virtual machine. The client is free for most of the simple options.

But your solution is quite similar (and it works!)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Initi
I had some decent success with VMware virtual machine. The client is free for most of the simple options.

But your solution is quite similar (and it works!)
When I needed to run windows for work, I started with VMware. Eventually the quality of Parallels caught up and got better and VMware got clunkier (at least for me) so I switched and have been happy with the change.

I also use Win10 to run Quicken and Solitaire.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I am an obsolete dinosaur. I don't think I want to spend my remaining time on earth screwing around with electronics which makes my brain hurt. I'm going with the stick my head up and see where we are approach.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I'm running Home Port and done updates using win10 64bit with no problems

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I'm running Home Port and done updates using win10 64bit with no problems
Updates to Homeport, yes. But you cannot transfer waypoints, routes, and tracks from HomePort to your Garmin 4xx hardware without using the proprietary card reader. If you have a newer Garmin chartplotter that uses a SD card for data, then you are good to go.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Actually, mine is a 420s (iirc) and it uses an SD card. You can transfer tracks and way-points using a normal SD card reader. Also you can do a s/w upgrade (download from Garmin to the PC, xfer to SD, run the upgrade on the 420).