Garmin Bluechart update

jcela

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 29.5 Kemah
I am asking for advice about the possibility of updating a 2001 Bluechart for Morgan City - Brownsville US014R used with my Garmin GPSmap 176C.
s it possible to update those old cards or it is better to buy a new bluechart wityh updated data?
Thank you in advance

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I am asking for advice about the possibility of updating a 2001 Bluechart for Morgan City - Brownsville US014R used with my Garmin GPSmap 176C.
s it possible to update those old cards or it is better to buy a new bluechart wityh updated data?
Thank you in advance
I don’t have specific advise for your model of Garmin but the “card” isn’t anything special, just an SD memory card. However the data on it is and has to be a version compatible with the software in the Garmin itself.

Since your Garmin is likely 10 or 15 yrs old I doubt Garmin spends much time actively updating its software to stay in step with evolving versions of the Bluechart data. Tech had a pretty short shelf life:)

I think buying Bluechart data is in the several hundred dollar range and may be a problem getting functional on your device. I would suggest you contact Garmin directly to determine what if anything is possible.

You might be better served by looking at a new unit that would have a larger, higher resolution display, perhaps a device that could integrate with other devices etc.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
with my Garmin GPSmap 176C.
I recommend going to the Garmin website and finding out. My GPSMap76Cx used the CD-ROM with unlock codes to download to the SD card. If yours does that, they discontinued that ages ago. Good luck. FWIW, unless you live on the east coast or perhaps along the ICW where buoys shift for good reason, I found that where I've been sailing (San Francisco to B.C.) not much has changed in 20 years.