garmin blue chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
i undetstand from posts on this forum that garmin has walked away from its blue chart technology, thereby abandoning owners of epensive chartplottters and making my 3010 a betamax of navigation. if garmin confirms this, i have abandoned garmin.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
morty, that's my understanding, too. However, what I do not know is if they have abandoned it as a "source" of new charts OR whether they will no longer provide you with unlock codes for charts on your America's CD or updates to what you already have on the Blue Chart CD.

It might be helpful to find out.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Which makes a case for having those old paper charts and just plotting it yourself, or a program/chart plotter that uses NOAA FREE downloads
I would note that sailing vessels don't go that fast and there is usually time to go below and figure things out then make a course change.

Erieau

Apr 3, 2009
Oday 25 Erieau
I neither endorse nor recommend it, but the "GPS underground" online community has taken up the cause of Bluechart support, now that Garmin has abandoned it.
There is unlock help, software for optimization, and -ahem- downloads of questionable legality, all out there for the asking. As for myself, I was able to re-unlock a re-installed Americas CD.
The internet is full of very smart people, it seems.

suds

Nov 16, 2010
N/A N/A N/A
Yes, they no longer support the bluechart maps. However those maps were superceded with the bluechart g2 & bluechart g2 vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.