Gangplanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 2011
M looking to build a gangplank to assist my wife, mother and any other guests who have difficulty boarding the bat. Anyone have any suggestions, designs anything for a Catalina 27? All I've found so far in the ready made solutions costs about half what I paid for the boat. ;-) I'm working on a design and will share it here when finished but I don't want to reinvent the wheel, Eric, gangplank, if someone's already got a working design.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We've always used a plastic fold-up foot stool that you can get at most marine and RV stores. Works great for any of our elderly guests. Some folks at our yacht club have installed permanent steps on the dock. I have seen some gangplanks that dissassemble and mount on the stanchions, but like you said, they would cost half as much as the boat. Good luck on your design.

Oct 23, 2011
Thanks for the tip. I'm heading to west marine today and will see if they have that. I didn't see anything like that last time but wasn't looking specifically.

Do you have a brand you purchased so I could look online? I've sketched the design but would rather buy than build. Enough boat related projects already without this one.

Tom J said:
We've always used a plastic fold-up foot stool that you can get at most marine and RV stores. Works great for any of our elderly guests.

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
I have a cast on one leg and also am trying to figure out how to get on boat for holidays

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have a cast on one leg and also am trying to figure out how to get on boat for holidays
Had the same issue a few years ago when I broke my leg skiing. I spent the first three months on the couch figuring out how to do it. It worked! Sit your butt down on the gunn'ul just fwd of the sheet winch. Scoot up to the coaming. Swing around. You'll find it easier to get around on the boat once you're on because of all of those nifty handholds.

Once I got on, I didn't wanna get off!

Oh, you need to figure out how to do that, too. :doh:

I didn't. :dance:

Wanted to stay on the boat forever. :)

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
If you need a small step, to get on from a finger dock on the side, u may be better off a home goods store. If u are at all handy pick up a set of pressure treated 2 or 3' stringers, a 10' piece of 5/4" pressure treated decking, half sheet of ext plyscore. Really simple, some ss screws......Red

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I've seen something like this used but with a wider bottom step:
Lowes sells them for about $15. I'd fasten it to the dock if possible.

Attachments

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
We use a fold away type so it can lay flat when not being used.

Attachments

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
The fold-up step-stool we use is the same one Valcour has. Can't remember if we got it at W/M or Camping World. Good luck.

May 16, 2007
Catalina 30 MKII Lake Texoma, Texas
My son is disabled, so I built a custom set of boarding steps. It's made from 1" steel square stock, with carpeted steps. The steps lead to a platform level with the top of the cockpit coaming. I have a double piece of treated plywood, wrapped in carpet, to span the distance from the platform to the coaming. I added an eyebolt to the side of the platform, so I can attach a line from the platform to one of the stanchions to hold the boat steady. He is able to walk up the steps, holding onto the handrail, and walk across the gangplank onto the boat. I've also used it for my elderly mother-in-law, works great. Also makes it much easier to load everything into the boat for a cruise - just walk up the steps and over into the boat.

Oct 23, 2011
valcour said:
Fantastic! This looks perfect. I've worked out a design I may build as well when I've got some time too but I'm going to buy this one ASAP. Thanks for the link, Valcour.

Once I clean up the design I'll post it for anyone who wants to give it a shot. Advantage would be that it moves smoothly with the boat. Advantage of this one is light and cheap. Big advantages.

Oct 23, 2011
Triple E said:
My son is disabled, so I built a custom set of boarding steps. It's made from 1" steel square stock, with carpeted steps. The steps lead to a platform level with the top of the cockpit coaming. I have a double piece of treated plywood, wrapped in carpet, to span the distance from the platform to the coaming. I added an eyebolt to the side of the platform, so I can attach a line from the platform to one of the stanchions to hold the boat steady. He is able to walk up the steps, holding onto the handrail, and walk across the gangplank onto the boat. I've also used it for my elderly mother-in-law, works great. Also makes it much easier to load everything into the boat for a cruise - just walk up the steps and over into the boat.
I'd love to see the design for this. Sounds a bit like, though more involved than, the design I came up with. Can you post photos?

Oct 23, 2011
joker460 said:
We use a fold away type so it can lay flat when not being used.
I'd worry a bit about that safety grip at the top. Could trip someone up trying to step over or to the side. I do have one of these. It would also take up a lot of stowage.

Oct 23, 2011
Thanks everyone for all the great posts. I suspect this is a problem for many sailboat owners. I see lots of smart solutions for big boats and powerboats but fewer for small and medium sized sailboats. That's probably because they're not to difficult to board in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.