Galley sink salt water pump question

Jul 23, 2020
I have a galley sink with a pressurized fresh water faucet, and the grey water is plumbed (1/2”) to the closest through hull. I want to add a manual salt water sink pump to save on fresh water when doing dishes (and as a backup in case my water pump goes out). My question is:

Does anyone know if I can I plumb the salt water intake line to the same seacock the galley grey water is plumbed OUT of using a Y-valve or connector? I have a 1979 Mariner and the plumbing is odd--the hoses have to snake and contort around the engine to reach the seacocks (and there has to be a *perfect* downward slope from the sink to the seacock or the water backs up), and this particular through hull would require the least amount of contortions. Any insight would be appreciated!

*I apologize if this question has been asked before. I am on the water right now, and my internet connection is the equivalent of a 300 baud modem on a Commodore 64 which makes searches very difficult and time consuming (it’ll probably take an hour just to post this).

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
My sink has a manual pump connected to the fresh water in case the water pump fails. When we want salt water we use a bucket with a rope tied to it. Might want to consider that.

Jul 23, 2020
My sink has a manual pump connected to the fresh water in case the water pump fails. When we want salt water we use a bucket with a rope tied to it. Might want to consider that.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's what I'm doing now. When in foul weather (or in other circumstances), it's not always practical to do this. For less than $100 for the pump and parts, I think it would be worth having this convenience.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I understand, but a salt water pump is not really "a backup in case (your) water pump goes out."

For the thru-hull, I wouldn't combine the sink drain and salt water pump inlet, myself.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I’ve never heard experience of someone trying, but I wouldn’t tee into the drain discharge. The pump will end up pulling in the same dirty water that just went down the drain. Even if you want to preserve a perfectly straight run for the drain it should be possible to plumb the intake somewhere else nearby and have it curve to the pump.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Are you saying you want to turn off your sink drain while you are taking in salt water? You'll be switching the y-valve a lot when washing up. If you do not have quality SS flatware, pots, pans and kitchen utensils that won't rust, you'll regret using seawater to wash up. Even your can opener will rust badly. Many SS sinks are not rust proof to sea water.
I installed a thru hull on this boat to do that and all the above happened. It's now the water maker inlet and we use the fresh water to wash up, instead.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I use a tee off my anchor wash-down pump. It is on a separate thru-hull and strainer for inlet water. I have not had any rusting problems at all. But I do use the salt water for rinsing and then the utensils are washed in hot fresh water.

Jul 23, 2020
I understand, but a salt water pump is not really "a backup in case (your) water pump goes out."

For the thru-hull, I wouldn't combine the sink drain and salt water pump inlet, myself.
If the water pump goes out, it's just a matter of rerouting the pipe from the manual pump to the fresh water tank.

• Helpful
Jul 23, 2020
I’ve never heard experience of someone trying, but I wouldn’t tee into the drain discharge. The pump will end up pulling in the same dirty water that just went down the drain. Even if you want to preserve a perfectly straight run for the drain it should be possible to plumb the intake somewhere else nearby and have it curve to the pump.
This was my only concern, but I figured I wouldn't drain the sink until I was done using the salt water. The basin can hold about 7 gallons.

Jul 23, 2020
Are you saying you want to turn off your sink drain while you are taking in salt water? You'll be switching the y-valve a lot when washing up. If you do not have quality SS flatware, pots, pans and kitchen utensils that won't rust, you'll regret using seawater to wash up. Even your can opener will rust badly. Many SS sinks are not rust proof to sea water.
I installed a thru hull on this boat to do that and all the above happened. It's now the water maker inlet and we use the fresh water to wash up, instead.
Thanks for the head's up. All my flatware and utensils are either stainless steel or "camping grade" plastic, and having used salt water for the prewash for awhile now, I haven't noticed any problems. I did have to replace one pipe segment that was jury rigged by a previous owner that was iron, and it crumbled into flakes of rust in my hand. The sink is original from 1979, and I haven't noticed a single speck of rust so far. My only concern regarding the salt water wash is in areas where black water contamination could be an issue.

Jul 23, 2020
Perhaps a simple matter on your boat, not so on many others.
I've found nothing is a simple matter on any boat. But if I'm out at sea and the water pump goes out, I will at least have a manual pump, which after a few hours of sweating and swearing to get it connected, can be used as a backup until I can get the other fixed or replaced.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Unless you have figured out a way to wash both hands while you are using a manual pump, I suggest you get one of these Whale foot pumps. They rock!
133002 PUMP.JPG

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
On my O'day 222, I got a bucket, drilled1/4 holes in the bottom and about half way up all around. I secured an electric bilge pump in the bottom, and ran a wire to reach a 12v outet, and rope painter to secure it to the deck. With a hose from the pump and through the port to the sink, I had oodles of water- even to wash the deck!

Jul 23, 2020
On my O'day 222, I got a bucket, drilled1/4 holes in the bottom and about half way up all around. I secured an electric bilge pump in the bottom, and ran a wire to reach a 12v outet, and rope painter to secure it to the deck. With a hose from the pump and through the port to the sink, I had oodles of water- even to wash the deck!
haha this is the type of "low tech" solution I appreciate. There should be a thread for clever stuff like this.