Galley or Cabin "Door" on 1983 H22

Sep 5, 2020
Hunter 22 Lake of the Ozarks
I'm just wondering.... My 1983 H22 has a door consisting of 4 slats of wood leading into the galley or main cabin. Each slat has to be removed individually and if you don't lift it square, it gets jammed up in the groove holding it. I'm thinking of connecting the slats together to make a single unit piece. I'm not sure why the "door" isn't a single piece to begin with. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem or used a similar solution?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Best guess is that was the style back then. My 1887 Hunter 31 came with a 1 piece acrylic door. Then my 2004 Hunter 386 came with a 2 piece acrylic door and my 2005 Hunter 46 came with fixed doors that swing open. I like the latter door best.

You can purchase a 1 piece acrylic door from the store on this site. That will be lighter and easier to handle than 1 piece wood door. MAYBE someone on this forum has done what you are suggesting or something similar. That is why it is a boat......as you can always find projects to spend money and time to upgrade ir.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Just to add........you could measure and buy a 1 piece smoked acrylic door with holes drilled or not for a latch from your local plastic shop like Taps Plastic. Low cost and fun project. I have done that for many different projects on my boats.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
If you’re talking about the companionway boards, from the cockpit into the cabin, be sure you have somewhere to store that one big piece while not in place, if you go that route.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The answer to the “why” question is that it is easier to store the four slats. The single piece will always be in the way down below. Everything is a trade off

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Actually, the builders of all boats, especially in the smaller and lower price end of the market, could make a tad bit more profit if they would use FRP drop boards, whether one piece or multiple pieces. BUT.... buyers have a preference for multiple wood drop boards, and are willing to pay little more for this 'yacht-y" look.
(Turns out we sailboat owners are illogical... who knew!?)
:cool:
The comment about storage is spot on, also. I replaced the heavy teak boards on our boat over a decade ago with a single lightweight composite board.... and was lucky to locate an interior location where I created a secure custom storage place against a bulkhead.
Our prior 26 footer actually had such a location for it's one-piece teak drop board panel.
I figure that any solution that gets away from handling and storing those heavy teak 'missiles' is a good plan! :)
I got tired of re-varnishing them... also...

Sep 5, 2020
Hunter 22 Lake of the Ozarks
I agree, they are beautiful and give the boat a "classy" look. I think I'm going to attach the boards together and refinish them. If that works, then I'm a happy man with the original look. If not, then I'll replace it with a solid white Plexiglas piece. That will match the rest of the outdoor cockpit. I'm wanting to replace that smoked plastic cover with a solid white piece anyway. I love how flexible we can be with these boats. They really can be customized easily!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
.... If not, then I'll replace it with a solid white Plexiglas piece. .
This is what Hunter does on their smaller boats. Alternating lexan and wood. It is a nice look and lets in a little light (big bonus). I like the look and functionality. I'm not a big fan of the lexan companionway sliding hatch. It lets in too much light and makes the boat hot. When mine gets so scratched it starts to look bad, I might replace it with a piece of white starboard.
1600016669192.png

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Regarding "starboard", do NOT use it where it will bear weight across a span. It is a cast plastic material with no reinforcing.
i.e. --- it will prove too brittle for that usage.

Note that large boats that use acrylic or polycarbonate have to use thick pieces for this reason.

If you want a solid sliding hatch, you need to look at making one with coring, like balsa. That's how larger boats do this. Ours has a half inch of balsa core and you can walk on it all day.
(Whether the boat is large or small, a horizontal hatch will get stomped on by the same weight of sailor.)

• Helpful

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
RE: Your ..."wanting to replace that smoked plastic cover with a solid white piece anyway."

My vote is for the smokey wood-framed Lexan companionway sliding hatch, which is what I have on my 1981 H22. It allows enough light, not a lot of sun heating in my opinion, a good amount of privacy while at the mooring / dock, and yes, it is a bit cumbersome stowing down below decks, but I make do as it has a particular cushioned storage location on the starboard side of the cabin table.