Galley Cabinet Removal: Rebedding Leaking Starboard sail track

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Been a monsoon here in Oklahoma. Found 2” of water in the galley bins. As I have re bedded most of the penetrations on the cabin top, I’m suspecting the sail track and probably both stanchions. Anyone delt with this on a Catalina 310?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If you can not see water coming from the sail track bolts inside then I would work on the stanchions first. On most boats they are used to stop the boat, or haul one up onto the boat. They are not designed for this use. The deck connections are flexed and the bedding is dislodge.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
jssailem is correct in that you will see water on the bolts for the genoa track. Has taken me about 8 years but I finally stopped the leakage around them without removing the track. Did it one bolt at a time using lifecaulk but my main problem was doing it incorrectly. Once I watched some Youtube videos and realized where the water can seep in it was easier to seal that area using Q-tips and lifecaulk. Regarding chainplates I had the same issue and tried to repair it myself with no success. Finally had a rigging inspection and replacement of most standing rigging plus new chainplates and the leak went away. The rigger I used (out of Jax) uses lifecaulk for all his jobs.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
If you can not see water coming from the sail track bolts inside then I would work on the stanchions first. On most boats they are used to stop the boat, or haul one up onto the boat. They are not designed for this use. The deck connections are flexed and the bedding is dislodge.
Based on the port side, the track bolts are covered up by the liner. Do you know if it is through bolted or are there plates glassed into the deck?

Oct 22, 2014
Plates were used. Not sure about your boat. Could try removing a screw. It it comes out likely plate. If spins likely thru bolted with cap nuts above the fiberglass inner lining.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Plates were used. Not sure about your boat. Could try removing a screw. It it comes out likely plate. If spins likely thru bolted with cap nuts above the fiberglass inner lining.
Do you have a Catalina 310?

Oct 22, 2014
No. I have a Cal 35 Cruiser. Been in many a Catalina and attended the Catalina showing at Annapolis with my friend Les. He is the Catalina 36 Assoc Commodore. So I have enjoyed being around them.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
No. I have a Cal 35 Cruiser. Been in many a Catalina and attended the Catalina showing at Annapolis with my friend Les. He is the Catalina 36 Assoc Commodore. So I have enjoyed being around them.
Thanks for the replies. I’m needing specific info on the 310.

Oct 22, 2014
Not a problem. Let me know what you discover about your specific boat.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
jssailem is correct in that you will see water on the bolts for the genoa track. Has taken me about 8 years but I finally stopped the leakage around them without removing the track. Did it one bolt at a time using lifecaulk but my main problem was doing it incorrectly. Once I watched some Youtube videos and realized where the water can seep in it was easier to seal that area using Q-tips and lifecaulk. Regarding chainplates I had the same issue and tried to repair it myself with no success. Finally had a rigging inspection and replacement of most standing rigging plus new chainplates and the leak went away. The rigger I used (out of Jax) uses lifecaulk for all his jobs.
Sounds like you have 310 #1! It looks to me like the track bolts go into a plate glassed in the deck. So, if it’s leaking the water must be going through the deck to the edge or completely through the deck onto the liner and running down and out.
can you provide some info on how you stopped the leaks? I’d be 76 in 8 years and want to speed up the process.

Jan 17, 2013
Finally getting back to this. What I will describe will sound very basic and simple so I don't know why it took me so long except semi-retiring and spending more time on the boat definitely helped. First identify which bolts are leaking either by seeing water on them, or stains around them or below them on the cushions. That was pretty easy to identify. Then realize that any leakage will occur in the first inch from the top. Unscrew the leaking bolt(s) and remove them by either unscrewing them or tap them out with a hammer. Clean them up as much as possible. Using a Qtip put caulking material inside the hole trying to seal off where the track meets the decks. Put caulking on the bolt in the same spot and then plenty of caulk on the top of the bolt where it meets the track. Then push the bolt straight in and screw the the nuts on from the inside. You obviously need 2 people for this operation. The key is to NOT turn the screws at all when reinstalling just turn the nuts from inside while someone holds the bolts with a screwdriver. Make them snug but not overly tight. After it dries for 24 hours then you can tighten them more. Or if you see leakage you can try tightening them. I left mine semi-tight for a few weeks and then tightened them later. Like I said it is pretty basic but it took me years to figure this out. Good luck.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Finally getting back to this. What I will describe will sound very basic and simple so I don't know why it took me so long except semi-retiring and spending more time on the boat definitely helped. First identify which bolts are leaking either by seeing water on them, or stains around them or below them on the cushions. That was pretty easy to identify. Then realize that any leakage will occur in the first inch from the top. Unscrew the leaking bolt(s) and remove them by either unscrewing them or tap them out with a hammer. Clean them up as much as possible. Using a Qtip put caulking material inside the hole trying to seal off where the track meets the decks. Put caulking on the bolt in the same spot and then plenty of caulk on the top of the bolt where it meets the track. Then push the bolt straight in and screw the the nuts on from the inside. You obviously need 2 people for this operation. The key is to NOT turn the screws at all when reinstalling just turn the nuts from inside while someone holds the bolts with a screwdriver. Make them snug but not overly tight. After it dries for 24 hours then you can tighten them more. Or if you see leakage you can try tightening them. I left mine semi-tight for a few weeks and then tightened them later. Like I said it is pretty basic but it took me years to figure this out. Good luck.
Do you have a Catalina 310? If there are nuts on the bottom, they are hidden by the interior liner. Thanks for the Qtip tip!

Jan 17, 2013
Do you have a Catalina 310? If there are nuts on the bottom, they are hidden by the interior liner. Thanks for the Qtip tip!
Yes I have a 1999 model, hull #1. The nuts on thee bottom of the Genoa track on my boat aren't hidden. They are easily accessible. There is wood trim in front of them but they are directly behind that and open. Hopefully yours are too.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Yes I have a 1999 model, hull #1. The nuts on thee bottom of the Genoa track on my boat aren't hidden. They are easily accessible. There is wood trim in front of them but they are directly behind that and open. Hopefully yours are too.
Thanks so much. I’ll check today. That would be a blessing to have them accessible. Very cool you have #1

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Thanks so much. I’ll check today. That would be a blessing to have them accessible. Very cool you have #1
Somewhere between hull #1 and hull #281, Catalina stopped through bolting the sail track. In my 2004 310 the sail track is not through bolted. Therefore, it must be bolted into threaded plates glassed into the deck.
We had a lot more rain and between storms, I removed the starboard fixed windows and rebedded them both with 3M high hind tape and Dow 795. Could have been better at caulking but they are now solid and don’t leak. As I did not have 2” more water in the galley bins today, it is likely there was a window leak causing the galley bins to fill up. I have a moisture meter and will check around the sail track to see what’s up there. Thanks to all for your input along the way.

Attachments

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Somewhere between hull #1 and hull #281, Catalina stopped through bolting the sail track. In my 2004 310 the sail track is not through bolted. Therefore, it must be bolted into threaded plates glassed into the deck.
We had a lot more rain and between storms, I removed the starboard fixed windows and rebedded them both with 3M high hind tape and Dow 795. Could have been better at caulking but they are now solid and don’t leak. As I did not have 2” more water in the galley bins today, it is likely there was a window leak causing the galley bins to fill up. I have a moisture meter and will check around the sail track to see what’s up there. Thanks to all for your input along the way.
It’s likely that the spots where the track is bolted (either thru or into a plate) do not have any core, so the moisture meter may not tell you anything. But it’s worth checking around the chain plates, because they are liable to leak, and it’s probably cored there. The fix is to pull them, dig out the wet cord, fill with epoxy, reinstall, and reseal. Butyl tape is a great sealant for that job, and many others.

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
Very interesting thread as I noticed some water sitting in the bilge area between the bilge pump and the engine compartment that I had not seen previously. I checked the thru hulls in the area and they were all dry so I was at a loss for where next. I’ll look at the Genoa tracks when next out on the boat.