Galley backsplash - the way I did it

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
Ahoy folks,

So, I've seen photos of galley backsplashes but when I searched for the topic didn't come up with much. I'm hoping my post will be easy for others looking to do this to find.

I purchased a 12"x48"x1/4" sheet of grey tinted Polycarbonate and cut it to size, very surprised at how easy it is to work with, it truly is like working with wood. Used a table saw for the long cut and a jig saw for the rounded edge. The exposed edges were then trimed with my router and a 1/8" round over bit. The two wood pieces I fabricated from some mahogany stock I had sitting around.

There are more photos on my website http://www.mrlew.com/AlltheotherSTUFF/Trinity/Galley-Upgrades and I would be happy to answer any questions.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Ahoy folks,

So, I've seen photos of galley backsplashes but when I searched for the topic didn't come up with much. I'm hoping my post will be easy for others looking to do this to find.

I purchased a 12"x48"x1/4" sheet of grey tinted Polycarbonate and cut it to size, very surprised at how easy it is to work with, it truly is like working with wood. Used a table saw for the long cut and a jig saw for the rounded edge. The exposed edges were then trimed with my router and a 1/8" round over bit. The two wood pieces I fabricated from some mahogany stock I had sitting around. http://www.mrlew.com/AlltheotherSTUFF/Trinity/Galley-Upgrades/i-pdWWJD5/A

There are more photos on my website http://www.mrlew.com/AlltheotherSTUFF/Trinity/Galley-Upgrades and I would be happy to answer any questions.
Absolutely great work!...
working with polycarbonate can be fun if you follow a couple of simple rules regarding its properties... and some people dont realize how easy it is to flame polish the edges to a classy/glossy finish...

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello

let me say "WOW... Looks wonderful"

gives me inspiration to do something similar.... I have wood panel slide doors on my boat in the galley and head... cannot see anything unless you open everything up.... this kind of gives me the idea I can replace my old doors with the grey/smoked polycarbonate panel doors... this way we can see what is behind the doors, yet it still be dark to hide it all

sincerely
Jess

Nov 14, 2013
Thanks everyone!

Jess, I ordered my poly from these folks http://www.estreetplastics.com/. From googling and searching the web they had the best selection of sizes and prices for my needs. Good luck, the stuff really is easy to work with.

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Chris, is there sealant between the teak and the backsplash? I was under the impression that the backsplash should be aft of the teak. Lovely job.

Nov 14, 2013
Chris, is there sealant between the teak and the backsplash? I was under the impression that the backsplash should be aft of the teak. Lovely job.
Interesting point Stu. There is no sealant, just a sandwich of wood, poly, wood. Funny, I hadn't even considered mounting the poly on the other side, might have to reconsider. The one issue I can think of is my "channel" on the port side.

Thanks!

Nov 14, 2013
Wow, that is an oversight. No gap between mine, pretty tight fit but some sealant might not be a bad idea and easy enough to do. Thanks for tip Stu.

Jun 29, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Gibsons
Nice work Chrisings;
I did a similar, but smaller backsplash, I was concerned with bumping against it in rough weather and breaking it. The backsplash is sealed at the base with clear silicone. Also note the mirrored plastic on the sliding doors behind the stove.

Attachments

Nov 14, 2013
Nice work Chrisings;
I did a similar, but smaller backsplash, I was concerned with bumping against it in rough weather and breaking it. The backsplash is sealed at the base with clear silicone. Also note the mirrored plastic on the sliding doors behind the stove.
Very nice!

The size was a big debate between myself and the Admiral. She wanted it even higher!! My concern was the same as yours, someone grabbing it in rough seas. Our compromise was I made it high enough to prevent the sink faucet from swinging over inadvertently and get the settee wet.

I do like that yours isn't as long too but again the Admiral overruled.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Looks good. ps. Did you buy your replacement galley faucet from Ikea? Because it looks just like a faucet that we have.

Nov 14, 2013
Looks good. ps. Did you buy your replacement galley faucet from Ikea? Because it looks just like a faucet that we have.
We did! I saw a post here about it. If that was your post then thanks!! It was a perfect fit at a very reasonable cost.

Aug 1, 2012
Catalina 30 Ventura West Marina, Ventura
Wow, that is an oversight. No gap between mine, pretty tight fit but some sealant might not be a bad idea and easy enough to do. Thanks for tip Stu.
Another tack to take would be to center cut a slot in your wood (a long 1/4" spiral bit on a router table would be the ticket), seat the poly down in the slot. I'd still run a bead of clear silicone.

Anyway, looks very nice just as it is!

Aug 1, 2012
Catalina 30 Ventura West Marina, Ventura
Nice work Chrisings;
Coriolis, nicely done! I also like the mirrored sliders, where'd you get the material, please?

Jun 29, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Gibsons
Brewgyver;
Thanks for the compliment. I stopped in Ventura West marina in the 80's delivering a 42 ft. Ketch to Mexico, from Vancouver.
My plastics guy is local up here, Mark at Archer Plastics;
http://www.archer-plastics.com/
There should be someone local for you in Ventura.
Mark also fabbed up some new portlight lenses for me, perfect fit, and only $30 each. I just took him an old one, and he duplicated it perfectly.
Mirrored sliders were $20, including 2 for the head.
Next is a new plastic mirror on the outside of the head door, and a clear cover for the Dinette table, so I can have my daily chart in view and handy to mark with erasable markers for course plotting the old way.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Chris, very nice!

One thought though. The acorn nuts might catch things on the counter when you're making dinner. A flathead bolt and a finishing washer would give you a flush fit.

Jim

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Nice work Chrisings;
Very nice...I'm always impressed with what folks do to upgrade their boats.