Gail Sail, is it any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jose Venegas

After some reading and research, it is still not clear to me what kind of heavy weather sail is best for a mid-size cruising boat with furling headsail like our Beneteau 361. Has anybody had experience using the “Gail Sail” by ATN Inc. (www.atninc.com). Although their website shows with a movie how easy it is to set it up in perfectly windless conditions and flat seas, something tells me that hoisting up such a sail over the furled genoa may not be that easy under heavy weather conditions. I have enquired for alternatives and my sail-maker tells me that the only one he knows is to set up a second removable forestay aft of the existing one and hoist a storm jib there (an expensive project). Any thoughts about the choice of storm sails?

M

Marc Buller

Thumb up

I'm prepping to move my boat Houston to Miami, I purchased a Gail Sail for my OC 350 and used it one day so far (20-30 kts) 2-4ft chop) on Galveston bay. It went up as advertised. I tied the furled sail with a sail tie, but intend to get a set of sheets dedicated to the Gail Sail.

J

Jose Venegas

Thanks Marc

Nice to know that it went up as advertised. How tough was it to set up around the forestay in a bouncing boat? I wish you a safe trip to Miami. I came up from Lauderdale last year and had a great time. Fortunately the weather was great and we didn't need to use the storm sail we didn't have. I am sure that this kind of luck will not always be with us and the Gale Sail sounds like a good compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.