G26 Restoration Starting - looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2013
Grampian G26 South Shore Harbnor
Hello everyone,
I am a new G26 owner (hull 422), and I am starting the renovation work on this boat. I was hoping to get the opinions of other owners concerning my plan of attack for the initial work. Below is a picture of her as she sits now;

/Users/familycomputer/Desktop/Grampian/3E13Kd3F25G25Fb5Hed1n79eddf2295971473.jpg

Her rigging is in good shape, sails are excellent, mast step area is sound. The yard that I am keeping her in for the work allows DIY tasks, with the exception of heavy sanding / grinding and paint spraying. Most everything else is OK. So here is the approach,

1. Boat on stand for 2 days, clean bottom, fix any below waterline blisters, check rudder bearings and repack / repair as necessary, anti fouling paint application / hull paint. This paint job will be workmanlike and quick....neat but not a show job....That will happen next winter.

2. Reinforce all areas of the boats "bowels" - including bilge, lazarettes and storage, all "hidden" areas. This will consist of general reinforcement / repair, cleaning, and painting with fresh white epoxy.

3. Repair / filling of ALL of the myriad screw holes in the cockpit, cabin, and deck, including a couple of small holes left from missing equipment.

4. Repair / replacement of all windows

5. Replacement of forepeak hatch with a high end Bowmar or equalivent.

6. Rebuild Cockpit companionway with teak and custom lexan, and teak steps.

7. Check and replace all anodes and keel bolts as required.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan of attack for the initial work scope. Basically this the work for Feb and March...in prep for initial sailing. Please let me know if I am off base here. I am all ears!

Thanks for your time and comments.....looking forward to this project!

Craig
G26 "Lizzard"
South Shore Harbor, League City, Texas.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Looking for advice

Sounds like an ambitious timeframe. I would first take care of any items that will prevent further damage to the boat such as sealing holes in the deck, replacing zincs and other preventative maintenance items. Tackle projects that will keep you and the boat safe such as rigging, through hulls, hoses, wiring etc. Cosmetic issues should come last. I would rather see you hold off painting the topside for another season. Next season, spend the time to do it right. Weather conditions play an important part of the final result so waiting for the right weather window could take a while. I quick paint job now will only make the next paint job more difficult. Do it once and do it right.

Jan 29, 2013
Grampian G26 South Shore Harbnor
Ted,

Thanks for the advice...I will modify to include wiring and lifeline refits, and drop all paint work. Do you recommend that I prime over the hole patches, or just leave the epoxy raw after fairing?

Thank you for the advice....I don't like painting anyway.:)

Craig

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
The best advice I can give is for you to go to the GrampianOwnersMarina.com website. There you will find all the information you need about your projects. You can also track down sources of supply for original Grampian parts.
Your hull number indicates that your G-26 was built in 1972 in Oakville, ON

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
G26 restoration

Craig, if you are planning to use gel coat after filling the holes, do not use epoxy as a filler. Gel coat does not adhere as well to epoxy as it does to polyester. Epoxy should not be left exposed as ultra violet rays will break it down over time. A primer over the epoxy will be fine. Try to use one that will be compatible with your anticipated paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.