Future Purchase Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Mark, when you say the ports were "pretty bad" what do you mean? Mine are suffering from UV exposure and getting kind of brittle. Did you use the rubbing compound to deal with that issue?

Jul 26, 2013
Islander 32 MK11 31 Digby
Hi Ron,
I think the 31 of that vintage is a great next boat - we moved up from a 24 seafarer.
We got our 1984 31 late in 2011. We sailed it the first year we and had great success. During that time I started to get the list together for upgrades, repairs and improvements. I like the yanmar diesel 2GMF but I feel she is a little underpowered.
We have been out in a few squalls and I always felt save and in control, but in taking 15 on the nose I would like to have some more solid power.
Be sure to have a in and out of water inspection - look at the cutlass for any shimmy.
It is best to replace it if the shaft seems loose. I changed out two though hulls this
year to get rid of the gate valves on the raw water inlet and sink. I added a Garmin tri sensor for my chart plotter, where the paddle wheel speedo sensor was.
I also sealed any of the other previous sensors through hulls. The plastic ports on our boat were pretty bad, but I used a mequire plastic compound on them and they came up pretty good.
We sail the Chesapeake so it is great for that body of water. We will most likely keep her for a few more years than move up to something that is a more robust blue/coastal cruiser.
Hi Mark
Pleased to know that you appreciate your Hunter 31 coming up from a 24 Seafarer, I am in the same boat pardon the pun going from a Hunter 25 to likely a Hunter 31. I find it interesting that you feel there is not quite enough power, the question being would more HP in bad weather conditions gain you anything, but it certainly is food for thought. It is a definite to pull whatever out of the water to have a look at their under-belly.
Thanks for the in-sight, re: your 31 Hunter.
Sincerely Ron

mr c

Aug 4, 2010
hunter sailboat 31 northport
The 84 hunter 31 should have the smaller 2gmf engine (13hp) and the 86 hunter should have the larger 2gm20f engine. I have been told it makes a difference with the larger engine.

Jul 26, 2013
Islander 32 MK11 31 Digby
The 84 hunter 31 should have the smaller 2gmf engine (13hp) and the 86 hunter should have the larger 2gm20f engine. I have been told it makes a difference with the larger engine.
Mr. C.
Thank you for taking the time to bring that difference in HP to my attention, most of the time you see a silvery grey engine by Yanmar and they usually identify them as mostly 16 HP which is an honest error in some cases. Glad you brought that to my attention.
Thanks Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.