Future Purchase Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2013
Islander 32 MK11 31 Digby
I am looking at a 1986 Hunter 31, with an interest to buy. Any information from currant owners or previous owners in regard to sailing ability or general failures of this vessel would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome aboard, Ron !.. In the top header, click on "Boat Info" , "Hunter Boat Info", then in the model selection box, scroll down a bit and click on "31_83-87" , then on owner reviews.. The different yeears are listed.. look for owners who've owned the boat for a few years..
The 31 is a good sailboat.. lots of room and a pleasure to sail.. somewhat tender and has a few problems that will be noted in the owner reviews. Again, Welcome !

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Check compression post and bottom of the chain plate attachment (at hull liner).

We owned a 31 and loved it. A little on the tender side, like many Hunters so you need to reef early.

Jul 26, 2013
Check compression post and bottom of the chain plate attachment (at hull liner).

We owned a 31 and loved it. A little on the tender side, like many Hunters so you need to reef early.
Hi Steve
Thank you for your input, it is a sort of thing I am looking for since I had been warned about
possible rigging failure and I guess that is what they were relating to in a round about fashion.
Should you think of anything else I would be very glad to hear from you. Happy sailing Ron

Jul 26, 2013
Welcome aboard, Ron !.. In the top header, click on "Boat Info" , "Hunter Boat Info", then in the model selection box, scroll down a bit and click on "31_83-87" , then on owner reviews.. The different yeears are listed.. look for owners who've owned the boat for a few years..
The 31 is a good sailboat.. lots of room and a pleasure to sail.. somewhat tender and has a few problems that will be noted in the owner reviews. Again, Welcome !
Hi Claude
Thanks for your input Good knowledge is always welcome, especially prior to purchasing. I will look at the reviews as you recommended. Several People have tried to turn me off purchasing
any Hunter from "85-92" without a solid reason I felt. Since I owned a 77 Hunter 25 for many years and have been very happy with it, I decided to do some detective work on my own to
hopefully prove them wrong. Anything you can forward will be graciously accepted. Ron

Dec 2, 1999
If you are concerned about the rigging Seco South is one of the best and least expensive places for a replacement.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
As others have alluded to, DO check the mast step area for water intrusion and rotting of the support post. Friend of mine had to rebuild both. It's a "light duty" boat in design and construction, but it sails very well in inland waters, within its limits.

I've done one sea delivery in one. Fine in small seas, but like a lot of similar boats, the systems are not mean't for steady use off shore.
Electrical panel very minimal -- the owner had to add an aux. panel.

Check the factory bilge pumping -- the early-80's one I was one had one small switch-operated Rule pump and no manual pump at all. Some upgrading had to be done...
:neutral:

Jul 26, 2013
As others have alluded to, DO check the mast step area for water intrusion and rotting of the support post. Friend of mine had to rebuild both. It's a "light duty" boat in design and construction, but it sails very well in inland waters, within its limits.

I've done one sea delivery in one. Fine in small seas, but like a lot of similar boats, the systems are not mean't for steady use off shore.
Electrical panel very minimal -- the owner had to add an aux. panel.

Check the factory bilge pumping -- the early-80's one I was one had one small switch-operated Rule pump and no manual pump at all. Some upgrading had to be done...
:neutral:
Thank you for your input I will certainly check out the points that you have made, re: manual bilge pump. I will be planning off shore trips no more than 150 miles so I certainly hope the gear holds up to that. Thank you again Ron

Jul 26, 2013
Hi Jared
Thank you for your additional confirmation in regard to my questions about Hunters
Sometimes they can be never ending. The next one hopefully you can advise me
if any of these Hunters have cored hulls and if so would you have any knowledge when
that occurred. Ron

Dec 2, 1999
No coring below the water line.

We owned a H31 '85 and never had blisters. Generally decent quality. Now that these boats are approaching 30 there can be issues.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Agreed on most points, except I don't think I would confine the 31 to inland sailing. I think she is a competent coastal boat as long as you have carefully inspected the structure and standing rigging. As said, more than a few have had problems with the compression post which can be an expensive job. The panel is very minimal and not wired to the standards one would like [spade terminals, no shrink tube]. The construction of the rudder could be a problem. After almost 30 years, anything plastic subjected to that much UV exposure is going to be suspect. Look carefully at the ports. I have never had a diesel before so I have little to compare, but I am pretty impressed with the fresh water cooled Yanmar for power and reliability.
However, when you compare the boat as it came from the factory with anything at its price, I think you will find combined with what you can get one for today, add in upgrades that may have been made by previous owners to a reasonably well kept boat, and finish with what you might add/replace, you will have a very rewarding, pretty [for the most part] and comfortable sailboat at an unbeatable cost. Unless you are looking at a blue water vessel, at least as much time will be spent "just on" the boat alone or with friends and family, as sailing. I wanted a boat that can handle 4, maybe even 6 in the slip or at anchor [though that many would tax it on a long day or overnight].

Jul 26, 2013
future purchase Hunter 31

No coring below the water line.

We owned a H31 '85 and never had blisters. Generally decent quality. Now that these boats are approaching 30 there can be issues.
Thanks Steve, appreciate the additional information, I am doing a bit of fact gathering at this time before I purchase.

Jul 26, 2013
Future Purchase Hunter 31

Agreed on most points, except I don't think I would confine the 31 to inland sailing. I think she is a competent coastal boat as long as you have carefully inspected the structure and standing rigging. As said, more than a few have had problems with the compression post which can be an expensive job. The panel is very minimal and not wired to the standards one would like [spade terminals, no shrink tube]. The construction of the rudder could be a problem. After almost 30 years, anything plastic subjected to that much UV exposure is going to be suspect. Look carefully at the ports. I have never had a diesel before so I have little to compare, but I am pretty impressed with the fresh water cooled Yanmar for power and reliability.
However, when you compare the boat as it came from the factory with anything at its price, I think you will find combined with what you can get one for today, add in upgrades that may have been made by previous owners to a reasonably well kept boat, and finish with what you might add/replace, you will have a very rewarding, pretty [for the most part] and comfortable sailboat at an unbeatable cost. Unless you are looking at a blue water vessel, at least as much time will be spent "just on" the boat alone or with friends and family, as sailing. I wanted a boat that can handle 4, maybe even 6 in the slip or at anchor [though that many would tax it on a long day or overnight].
I appreciate your information concerning ports, rudder, rigging etc. This will also be my first foray with diesel power so I hope I obtain the same satisfaction as you seem to have had.
Thank you, Ron

Aug 23, 2011
Hunter 31 Georgetown, MD
Re: Future Purchase Hunter 31

Ron,

There is a ton of information here on the site to help with your decision.

I have been very happy with my 86’ 31, which was bought as a "fixer up" project after it had sat on the hard for years. I’ve replaced thru hulls, repaired blisters, repaired the rusty keel, replace the mast compression post and have done some major rewiring. I consider these all upgrades, to what was a pretty decent boat to start with. The Yanmar, after replacing the lift pump, installing a Racor filter and rebuilding the sea water pump just purrs like a kitten!

All of this has been done over the last three years with the help and advice of fellows on this forum.

Thanks everybody!

Mike C

PS I think it looks great and sails beautifully!

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter H340 Michigan City
I am sitting on mine right now. As with anything proper care is essential. I bought it used and it had 3 PO's they had done various up grades. I have done a few different things and changed some of the up grades. The engine is very reliable never a failure to start in the 8 years I have owned it. The last PO replaced the compression post, but did not seal the hole for the mast wiring. So I pulled the mast and fixed that no issue since. I sail Lake Michigan and the boat has always been fresh water. My rigging is in very good shape. Layout in the cabin is good. No blisters, solid hull, I really like that is is not cored below the water line. She sails very close to the wind. In general my wife and I really like the boat. As far as the electrical panel unless you add a lot of extra systems it is adequate, I did add and additional one. A good coastal cruiser for sure, we have been in so big water and in Lake Michigan the period of the waves are short and it handled them well. We like ours and I would recommend it for what it was designed for coastal not blue water cruising.

Jul 26, 2013
Future Hunter Purchaser

I am sitting on mine right now. As with anything proper care is essential. I bought it used and it had 3 PO's they had done various up grades. I have done a few different things and changed some of the up grades. The engine is very reliable never a failure to start in the 8 years I have owned it. The last PO replaced the compression post, but did not seal the hole for the mast wiring. So I pulled the mast and fixed that no issue since. I sail Lake Michigan and the boat has always been fresh water. My rigging is in very good shape. Layout in the cabin is good. No blisters, solid hull, I really like that is is not cored below the water line. She sails very close to the wind. In general my wife and I really like the boat. As far as the electrical panel unless you add a lot of extra systems it is adequate, I did add and additional one. A good coastal cruiser for sure, we have been in so big water and in Lake Michigan the period of the waves are short and it handled them well. We like ours and I would recommend it for what it was designed for coastal not blue water cruising.
Hi Keith
Thank you for your advise and good information about the Hunter 31. You mentioned not wanting a cored hull, I am finding it difficult to get information which boats in this approximate size and years between 86 and 89 have or have not cored hulls. I currently have a Hunter 25
it has a solid hull also and would prefer to stay with that type of hull, even if I go for a different
brand.
Thanks happy sailing
Ron

Jul 26, 2013
Ron,

There is a ton of information here on the site to help with your decision.

I have been very happy with my 86’ 31, which was bought as a "fixer up" project after it had sat on the hard for years. I’ve replaced thru hulls, repaired blisters, repaired the rusty keel, replace the mast compression post and have done some major rewiring. I consider these all upgrades, to what was a pretty decent boat to start with. The Yanmar, after replacing the lift pump, installing a Racor filter and rebuilding the sea water pump just purrs like a kitten!

All of this has been done over the last three years with the help and advice of fellows on this forum.

Thanks everybody!

Mike C

PS I think it looks great and sails beautifully!
Hi Mike
It sounds like you have done a great job and you certainly know more about your boat when you have done this type of job and also very rewarding. I am sure you will have many happy sailing days ahead of you and thanks for the encouragement and advise.
Ron

Nov 23, 2011
Hunter H31 Kent Island Yacht Club
Hi Ron,
I think the 31 of that vintage is a great next boat - we moved up from a 24 seafarer.
We got our 1984 31 late in 2011. We sailed it the first year we and had great success. During that time I started to get the list together for upgrades, repairs and improvements. I like the yanmar diesel 2GMF but I feel she is a little underpowered.
We have been out in a few squalls and I always felt save and in control, but in taking 15 on the nose I would like to have some more solid power.
Be sure to have a in and out of water inspection - look at the cutlass for any shimmy.
It is best to replace it if the shaft seems loose. I changed out two though hulls this
year to get rid of the gate valves on the raw water inlet and sink. I added a Garmin tri sensor for my chart plotter, where the paddle wheel speedo sensor was.
I also sealed any of the other previous sensors through hulls. The plastic ports on our boat were pretty bad, but I used a mequire plastic compound on them and they came up pretty good.
We sail the Chesapeake so it is great for that body of water. We will most likely keep her for a few more years than move up to something that is a more robust blue/coastal cruiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.