Fuse or Breakers?

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Thanks jviss. Yup im accounting for all of that as everything is wired. Im usig 3% (round trip) and upsizing to the next gauge wire. Fuses and circuit breakers will be sized for each individual load/ wire size, or if i double up on a couple of loads (nav lights) i'll use the size wire recomended for the combined load. Panel breaker and wire for feed line will be sized 125% of total loads if everything was on at the same time. Its only a 6 fuse fuse block so im guessing the breaker will be under 15amps. Ill use a second fuse block for the other loads with its own seperate feed line and circuit breaker at the distro panel.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
I installed this Blue Sea System panel near the helm for the purpose you describe. It is basically a sub panel to my main panel inside the boat.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Nice! Exactly. Just a fused subpanel. Much easier coming into a harbor solo and having control of all of that directly from the helm. Only reason im using individual switches and a fuse box is to keep it super compact. I plan to cut out an opening next to the engine instrument panel on the sidewall inside the cockpit so want it as small as possible and within easy reach of the wheel.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You can mitigate the load by the use of LED’s. Up to 10times less amperage in some cases.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
You can mitigate the load by the use of LED’s. Up to 10times less amperage in some cases.
yup bought all new Peters and Bey led nab lights except my bow and stern lights that are 1980 Peters and Bey,but i swapped the bulbs for led’s

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Interesting, while I'm thinking of moving switches away from the cockpit someone is considering moving some from cabin to cockpit. The average boat cockpit is very small, about 3-4 steps length at best. A while back I moved the Starter Push Button to inside the cabin, close to the companionway, when the existing circuit became erratic, and I'm now considering moving the engine shut off cable and the key switch as well. The main reason is to get them out of the elements and minimize corrosion. I can probably turn the key and go crank the engine just as fast as I did before. Shutting down the engine would not be a big deal either, as previously having to do it manually for a couple of weeks after the cable broke and had a chance to replace it. Having the key switch locked inside the cabin offers less chance for tampering when the boat is unattended. I guess there is no right or wrong, just the way different owners may like it.

May 3, 2010
Tanzer 26 Porr
Breakers. If something blows a fuse on say your running lights you may blow several before you find the fault. I've known more than one person who ran out of fuses before locating and repairing a short. Use breakers.