Fuse on Tohatsu 8hp starter battery cable?

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I've installed a Tohatsu 8hp electric start outboard on my H240 (same motor as the 9.8hp). My only battery has a Blue Sea terminal fuse block with 40 amp fuse for the boat circuits. After a few starts the outboard starter blew the 40A fuse. Does the battery cable from the outboard need to be fused at the battery, or should I just increase the fuse size to say 60A (8 gauge battery cables, 8 ft long)? The starter motor is rated at 500 watts, so I understand why the 40A fuse blew. I would prefer not to get a separate start and house battery on a boat this small.
Any advice on the best and safest way to do this is appreciated!

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Based on owners manual it looks like the 8/9.9 hp use a 20amp fuse in the motor for the starter. You might want to check your cables and connections. Our Yamaha is similar.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Thanks, I think the 20A fuse (circled in blue on the diagram) protects the charging circuit- not the starting circuit- please correct me if I'm wrong- just wondering if I need to protect the battery cables with the fuse block on the positive terminal?

Attachments

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Fuse should be within 7” of battery terminal to protect wire. (And your boat in case of dead short etc) From blue seas it looks like you could fuse a single 8g wire at up to 80 amps. 60 should work.

if Original fuse was/is also protecting other circuits you will need to look at the wire size for those circuits. Might need to use more than one fuse at positive terminal.