Furling Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Noah

I would like to add a furling system to my Mac over the winter. The biggest problems is I know nothing about furling systems and how they work! Could anyone enlighten me to the basics?

N

Noah

I would like to add a furling system to my Mac over the winter. The biggest problems is I know nothing about furling systems and how they work! Could anyone enlighten me to the basics?

B

Bob Cassel

How a furler works...

The furler has a foil (flat piece of metal or plastic) with a center opening that runs the length of it for the forestay and two slots (one on either edge of the foil) that you slide the luff of the head sail into. On a CDI furler, a line runs up one of the slots, around a sheave a the top and then backdown the other side to the drum. On other furlers, the foil is topped by a swivel that offsets the regulard jib halyard. At the base the foil attaches to a drum that has a coil for the furling line. With the sail furled (rolled up) the line is fully depleted from the drum. As you roll the sail out the line fills the drum and vice versa. You need to replace the hanks on most head sails with a luff tape of the approriate size to fit the slots in the foil

C

Curtiss Grant

Furling

If you have it done, it will cost about $750 to $850 but WORTH every penny. That includes installation, sail work etc. There is no other way!

Status
Not open for further replies.