Furling system for my Balboa20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2011
Balboa 20 Lake Wallenpaupack
I have a Balboa 20 and love it, but my son, who used to sail with me has grown up and now lives far away at his new job. I'm pretty much on my own when it comes to sailing. If I can install a furling system for my jib I can get out on the water by myself. Any suggestions as to what type, brand and model?

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
For a boat that size I'd look at the CDI furlers.
If there is a local sailmaker near you that you like I'd also speak to them. It would be a good idea to get a new genny made up with foam in the luff so it holds its shape better when partially furled.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Furling system for my Balboa 20

Welcome. First you need to determine if you want a furling system or a reefing system. They are not the same although many people use the terms interchangeably. With a furling system you don't need a foam luff because the sail will only be used when it's fully unrolled. If you want to reef your headsail, then you'll need a different system and adding a foam luff may help sail shape on a larger sail. The headsail on a Balboa 20 is pretty small so your sailmaker will likely guide you in the right direction depending on the hardware system you select. In any event you may have to do sail modifications such as removing hanks and adding a luff tape and possibly shortening the luff of your existing sail and adding a leech cover.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Before I discuss the "go sailing now" option....here's a link that will show you some furler packages and their costs. http://thesailwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=storeframe.html&cart_id=

Okay, two quick things to do and you can go sailing tomorrow, without spending $1000 or more installing Roller furling unit and a new sail to fit it.

First, rig a "jib downhaul" with your hank on headsail... It's very simple... a length of 1/8" line tied to the top hank on your sail (not the head, or shackle) with a buntlline hitch.... run down to a small block shackled to the tack fitting, then run back to a cleat near the cockpit. I ran mine along the toe rail through a couple of bullet fairleads clamped to the stanchions (you'll need these anyway when you finally get a RF unit)

The jib downhaul will keep your sail secure on deck by keeping the halyard and top of the sail from bouncing around before you're ready to hoist. But it's greatest benefit is that it allows you to control the drop of the sail....

The second thing is to rig some lacing between the life line and deck from the pulpit back to the second stanchion on each side. You can use the same size and type cord you used for the jib downhaul.

The lacing keeps your sail from sliding off the deck.

So... when you want to drop the jib, you can head up and control the drop with the downhaul, steering the foredeck under the sail as it comes down and drops between the basket created by the lacing on the life line..... Or... downwind you can ease out the boom and shadow the jib, pulling it down quickly with the downhaul when it floats over the fore deck.

I single hand all the time on my 27 footer and this inexpensive addition to my rigging a few years back made my life so much easier, and safer......

You'll need enough line to cover the luff of you jib and the distance back to the cockpit, a small block with a shackle and an inexpensive clam cleat for the down haul. Probably not more than $30. The lacing can be accomplished with a bundle of nylon, braided cord picked up at any Home Depot for less than $10....

This open, mini camcleat is under $5.00 at WM.

The Ronstan series 20 block with shackle shown in my boat pictures below is under $17 at WM also.

The pics below are from my boat showing how the downhaul line is tied on, where I fixed the block and a look at the sail lying on deck, hanked on, safely between the life line lacing, ready to hoist.

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for the info and ideas. Right now it looks like I may try the cheap home "pull down" remedy until I decide on a system to install, however a friend of mine just suggested the Schaefer CF-500 snap furl system as being an excellent choice for my boat. I'll keep everyone posted as to my final decision and then how it works out.

Feb 20, 2011
Sorry to have taken so long in reporting back but I have been having a great summer sailing with my new furling system on my Balboa 20. I wound up with the Harkin Small boat furler with hoistable halyard. It's easy to install and to operate, but I did have to get a new forestay that was shorter to account for the drum assembly.
My total investment of under $500 has proven to be a worthwhile one since I am now able to easily sail solo.
Happy Sailing to you all!
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.