Furling Line Rigging

Jan 28, 2023
catalina 22 Clinton Marina
I’m putting a new furler on the boat and I don’t like the current routing which rubs on the “combing?” And terminated on a starboard clutch. I’d like to run it down it aft on the starboard side. anyone have pictures on how they run their furling line?
1704390634681.jpeg

1704390677885.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The turning block the line is going through is to turn the halyards from the mast step back to the cockpit. Should be one for the main halyard. The other is for a spin halyard, second jib halyard, or perhaps a topping lift for a spin pole.

Furling lines generally run along the gunwale to a block and cleat aft of the jib winches. On larger boats with stanchions, there are guides the line runs through. On a small boat there should not be any reason to use a winch to furl the jib. If it is necessary to use a winch, something is wrong and using the winch could cause damage.

Jan 28, 2023
catalina 22 Clinton Marina
The turning block the line is going through is to turn the halyards from the mast step back to the cockpit. Should be one for the main halyard. The other is for a spin halyard, second jib halyard, or perhaps a topping lift for a spin pole.

Furling lines generally run along the gunwale to a block and cleat aft of the jib winches. On larger boats with stanchions, there are guides the line runs through. On a small boat there should not be any reason to use a winch to furl the jib. If it is necessary to use a winch, something is wrong and using the winch could cause damage.
Thanks. I would like to eliminate the line going through the turning block and run the line along the side of the boat. i agree I don’t need a winch. How should I tie-off the line, with a simple cleat?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Thanks. I would like to eliminate the line going through the turning block and run the line along the side of the boat. i agree I don’t need a winch. How should I tie-off the line, with a simple cleat?
just use your stern cleat. no reason for additional hardware. Otherwise you can add a cleat to the outside track if you would like as well.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Also, the line is definitely a trip hazard. Keep it low to the deck and as close to the rail as possible.
Cheers