Furling Line Cleat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I'm sharing in case any other folks have the same experience with the 310 headsail furilng setup. With the factory cleat well forward of the helm it was a pain to furl and when the breeke was kicking up It seemed I was getting my hand all tied up in the cleat and line. I added this block and cam cleat to help with the headsail furling-makes it a simple task no matter the conditions.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
I did a similar mod on my 309, except mounted the cam cleat on the coaming. Simple change that makes a tremendous difference in ease of line handling, especially when singlehanding!

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
CCHer

:clap:

Just wondering if you removed the old foresail furling line cleat?

paulj :troll:

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Same here-cleart's still there and no plans to remove it, in the near term anyway. Jsalley, how's that Honda generator working out?

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
CCHer said:
Same here-cleart's still there and no plans to remove it, in the near term anyway. Jsalley, how's that Honda generator working out?
Working great. I'm on an overnight tonight and plan to fire it up this evening until the sun goes down.

Mar 15, 2011
Catalina 310 Gloucester Point, Va
CCHER,
I like your solution, can you post a parts list for the block, the pole attachment of the block and the cam cleat.details..Thanks
Bob

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Harken 57mm carbo airblock, model 2615, the block with the cam cleat attached, Defender item # 614050 for about $90. The angle of the cam cleat to the block is adjustable so you can experiment with what works best. I found the bracket for attaching to the rail at the West Marine in Deltaville for about $10. Don't have any part # info-it was hanging on the wall in the sailboat hardware section.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
CCHer said:
I found the bracket for attaching to the rail at the West Marine in Deltaville for about $10. Don't have any part # info-it was hanging on the wall in the sailboat hardware section.
I removed my Dutchman in frustration last week and found that the block/cleat mechanism works just fine in the system CCHER developed. It's so nice having that at the helm now!

I attached a photo of the product tag for that anchor used to attach the cleat to the rail. It's the same one CCHER used and it was at WM as well.

Thanks for the great idea CC!

Attachments

Jun 30, 2010
Catalina 310 Bristol RI
I removed my Dutchman in frustration last week and found that the block/cleat mechanism works just fine in the system CCHER developed. It's so nice having that at the helm now!

I attached a photo of the product tag for that anchor used to attach the cleat to the rail. It's the same one CCHER used and it was at WM as well.

Thanks for the great idea CC!
Thanks for the tip! I removed my Dutchman (also in frustration) and built lazy jacks last winter. I did not think of re-using that block/cleat for this. Great idea.

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 25 Long island
I actually just set up something similar on my aunts boat. She is getting a little older and had a double mastectomy a few years back due to breast cancer. She still loves to sail but was lacking the upper body strength to do all she had once done easily. I got two of the same pulpit anchors from WM and put one on her aft pushpit stantion and one on her first single stantion. I attached a fiddle block with cam to the aft one and a single block to the more forward one. Got a 60 foot length of line for her furler and ran it back to the top sheave of the fiddle block then up to the single block then back to the bottom sheave and through the cam. This gave her a way to reef using the cam and also added some much needed purchase for her to maintain her independence :)

May 4, 2006
Catalina 310 Bloomington, MN
Thanks for this suggestion. Yesterday I went and bought and installed the parts. Haven't used it as yet but I'm confident it will make (singlehanded) furling a lot easier.

Kevin

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
It will. Probably the easiest and one of the most useful modifications ever. Thanks again CCHer!

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
CCHER et al: Thanks for your posts. I installed the block this past weekend and love the new location of the furling line and the mechanical advantage of the block. Thanks also for the tip on Garhauor block. My only install issue was getting the pulpit mount on to the rail. Needed to use a rubble mallet and some piquid soap and still put a couple of scratches in the rail. I still use the original cleat to store the line to get it out of the way (tripping issue) because I get on and off the boat on that side at my marina slip. Again, great tip and that's what is so great about this site.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Mauri Pro Sailing

An even better option, cheaper and set up specifically for what we are doing.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stanchion Blocks [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SB-25C - Stainless Steel Blocks

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=57

Only $45.00, all set up, no fuss no muss.
[/FONT]
Mauri Pro has this at http://www.mauriprosailing.com/product/XZGAHSB25.html for $35.00 + $12.49 shipping. Too bad SBO doesn't carry this as I know their shipping would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.