Furling Jib Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JimH

I have a continuous line furling jib and it seems the only position adjustment is 150% or nothing! I cannot have a 100% or 60% adjustment; as far as I can tell. When I unfurl to 60%, a gust will come and automatically unfurl the entire sail! My only fix has been to thread a line thru a small hook with an eye and run the line to the two cleats on the bow. Then, when unfurling, go to the bow and unroll a portion of jib then attach the hook to an eye-ring on the furling drum so it can't unroll further. During windy times, this can be a harrowing experience when unfurling and furling the line. Is there a better way to adjust the amount of headsail deployed?

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
That is correct.

The continuous furler was just that. It was for furling and not for reefing. r.w.landau

P

Peter

here's an idea

Though I am not familiar with the continuous line furling system, I would guess that each "side" of the furling line is running parallel to each other, at least at the aftmost block. If so, I would seize the lines together at the desired point of furl or reefing, to keep the line from moving and allowing the sail to unfurl itself in the gusts. Nothing permanent, but something like a rolling hitch or just a few half hitches that could be easily loosened to make further adjustments.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
Peter, the pressure on a continuous furler

can force the drum spin even with the line tied off. it will slide through the furler line slot. The pressure on a furled sail is quite large and even if you tie them off, the sail will put enough torque on the drum to unfurl the sail. r.w.landau

J

JimH

Idea

Peter, I believe I have tried a half hitch on the lines with it partially unfurled, but in a gust the jib sheet pulls the jib out. It seems the continuous line does not have enough grip. Maybe RW is right, it may not have been designed to reef?-->without jerry-rigging it?????

R

Roger

rw is right re inherant design

The other thing to remember is that when it is partially furled it has a lousy sail shape anyhow. You need a luff foil with shaped foam in the luff of the sail, so that as it is 'reefed', the bag or belly of the sail is taken up by the foam behind the foil to allow it to maintain decent shape. A furler is just that, all or none. You will need to spend much more $$$ to get a roller reefing system.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
RW is right

If you inspect the furler drum you will see that it is designed to "bite" the line during the rolling up process and not during the rolling out process. It is a furler not a reefer. Everybody together F-U-R-L-E-R R-E-E-F-E-R They don't sound anything alike to me. And that is why you have a suite of head sails and I personaly prefer hanked on sails. If I'm going to have to futz with the thing anyway why not have a sail that is easy to futz with. You could even (gasp) get a head sail that has a (gasp twice) reef point in it. Or if you really want to be on the bleeding edge you could have 2 head stays and a furler on each with two different sails. And it would only coat an arm and a leg. The only problem I have ever found with hanked on headsails is the occasional situation where I was not paying attention to the weather and I have to go forward when it is choppy. But that is what bow pullpits are for right? Those old geezers really did know what they where doing.

tcbro

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Middle River, MD
Convert it

Jim, My guess is that you have a Hood LD roller furling system (LD stands for Line Drive). I have one as well and I have been lucky. It is not designed to reef but I have never had a problem reefing. I just make sure the splice is on the un-loaded side (you can "slip" the line through) and cleat it off tightly. I have sailed with my 150 reefed down to ~ a 100 in 30 kts of wind this season without a problem. I do have the foam luff so I get good sail shape when reefed (it truly amazed me how well that foam luff works, I recommend it) The best option is to convert it to an SL model (Single Line). Hood sells the drum conversion for considerably cheaper than buying a completely new system and I hear that Defender sells it for even less. Link below is for the Hood website. Tom s/v Orion's Child

Sep 19, 2006
Catalina 36 Mid Chesapeake
If you have the Hood loop line furler

If you have the continuous line Hood furler (one big loop) there is an upgrade available to change it to single line http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?t=1500&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hood http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2279.msg12236 Seems there was always a problem with the continuous line furler slipping -

J

JimH

Claude, interesting idea

Does your setup work on a 150% genoa or 100%? Mine is a 150% with the foam foil,,,i wonder if it works with the greater force of a 150% in high winds?? I look forward to your response.

J

JimH

Another good idea

TCBRO, another great idea from the forum. I will try your idea and report. Thanks.

C

Claude Labrecque

135%

JimH, My genoa is the Stock 135% of the Hunter 35.5. No foam luff.

B

Benny

If it is not a reefer should not be used as one.

A 150 Genoa unfurling into a 30 knot wind will sound like a cannon shot and perhaps cause as much damage, not to mention the possibility of creating a dangerous situation. The sail shape of a deeply reefed Genoa on a furler is practically useless, so the risk/reward ratio is unfavorable.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
An excellent point, Benny

Furling any sized headsail more than 30% just destroys any shape that the sail may have had. If you only have one headsail, and its a 150, when the wind starts to pipe up just roll it away and sail on the main. A used working jib is dirt cheap. You should consider buying one for heavier air.

Status
Not open for further replies.