Furlex 100-S

Oct 11, 2008
Hunter 320 Stockton, MO
I have a halyard swivel on a Furlex 100-S jib sail that appears to be hanging up and not always allowing furl and unfurl. Any suggestions on cause and/or remedy?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Check the angle of your halyard to the swivel. If it is too parallel with the forstay, you might need a halyard restrainer. Without one, too much halyard tension binds the bearings (bad). Too little, and the halyard wraps around the forstay (very bad).

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
When was the last time you lubricated the bearings. I had the same issue and after lubricating worked like a champ.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If it was working well before it is just likely a lack of lubrication. For your info the Furlex 100 is rated by the manufacturer for use in boats up to 30'. Hunter decided to use it in its 32 footers basically to save costs as they felt with the small headsail of the B&R rig that they would be adequate. Years ago we broke the tack ring and after contacting Hunter and being referred to the Furlex manufacturer we were shipped free of charge a new head with what was clearly a redesigned and reinforced tack ring. The drawback is that Hunter will not pay the rigging costs to replace the part. It looks like the original tack ring was 1/2" and the redesigned closer to 3/4". Don't know about the wear and longevity of the rest of the unit as like I said we replaced ours. I would think that other than identifying which version you may have there is really no reason to worry about it but to give you a heads up in case it fails prematurely. I have seen Furlex 100s last 30 years +. In any case keep your unit and the swivel well lubricated.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Might be worth a search on line to get the manual. I found and downloaded the 1999 and 2004 versions of the Furlex 100 S manual.
As others have said tension and halyard lead angle plays a large part on smooth operation. Lubrication is important. The manual suggest rinsing thoroughly with water and lubricating with a an appropriate grease.

If you need a copy of the manual PM me your address and I will e-mail it to you.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I recently had the same issue as to binding when furling the jib. I found that by replacing my line, it resolved the issue. In my case, the old line was worn and rough and slightly expanded. When rolling in the sail, with the old line, it would bind at a point when there was still two feet of jib still open.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I recently had the same issue as to binding when furling the jib. I found that by replacing my line, it resolved the issue. In my case, the old line was worn and rough and slightly expanded. When rolling in the sail, with the old line, it would bind at a point when there was still two feet of jib still open.
I had the same problem last year. Line kept jamming on the drum. The older line was swollen and rough so it wouldn't wrap well and jammed. A new line fixed that problem.

Seamate
Have your dropped the sail to see if the swivel spins freely?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
I have a halyard swivel on a Furlex 100-S jib sail that appears to be hanging up and not always allowing furl and unfurl. Any suggestions on cause and/or remedy?

The halyard swivel on the Furlex 100s has 2 plastic half sleeves that act as a bushing in the top of the swivel. If you, or anyone, has ever lowered the swivel down over the sail loader, the loaded will hit the sleeves and these plastic sleeves will pop out. This has happened to me twice. The first time one piece landed on the deck, the other overboard. See page 5 of the Furlex 100s parts list (has sketches of swivel - sleeves are item A12) http://www.marlow-hunter.com/export/Vendor-Manuals/Furling 100 S Selden . To check if yours are missing, carefully lower swivel and look in the top, these are black plastic half sleeves that keep the swivel rotating smoothly. If yours are missing, they are cheap from Selden, but a pain to slip in. I keep an extra set of sleeves now and always put a clamp above the sail loader to keep the swivel from lowering too much. Good luck.

Oct 11, 2008
Hunter 320 Stockton, MO
The halyard swivel on the Furlex 100s has 2 plastic half sleeves that act as a bushing in the top of the swivel. If you, or anyone, has ever lowered the swivel down over the sail loader, the loaded will hit the sleeves and these plastic sleeves will pop out. This has happened to me twice. The first time one piece landed on the deck, the other overboard. See page 5 of the Furlex 100s parts list (has sketches of swivel - sleeves are item A12) http://www.marlow-hunter.com/export/Vendor-Manuals/Furling 100 S Selden . To check if yours are missing, carefully lower swivel and look in the top, these are black plastic half sleeves that keep the swivel rotating smoothly. If yours are missing, they are cheap from Selden, but a pain to slip in. I keep an extra set of sleeves now and always put a clamp above the sail loader to keep the swivel from lowering too much. Good luck.
I believe this is my problem, and have the sleeves ordered from Selden. Any advice on how to replace them?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
Well it has been about 5-6 years since I last popped mine, so my memory on this is not great. My thinking is since they pop out the top of the swivel, they will go back in that way. The first one will slip in easily. The trick is to find the depression where the little nub on the side of the sleeve fits in. The nub does not "pop" in, but it seems to fit when you get it right. You will need a thin, long (2-3 inches) tool to slip in the bottom when (not if) you push sleeve in too far. Now I remember--- Easiest way is to remove the sail loader. My recollection is that there is one screw holding the loader. Tale out screw and loader lifts upward and off. Obviously extreme care in needed, dropping overboard is not an option. Once loader is off, lower swivel to the loader cavity and you will have space to place the sleeves properly - using thin tool to adjust location. It's really not hard, just nerve racking to work over the water with small parts and tools. Hope this solves the problem. Tony