Furler setup

Nov 29, 2016
Beneteau 281 Toronto
Hi all,

Would appreciate your help with a question on furler setup. Recently purchased a Beneteau 281 and I'm not sure the furler was set up correctly.
This is a photo of the furler when we purchased the boat.
2016.JPG Please note the furling line, outside the metal cage. I believe this to be incorrect, and that the line should be inside the cage2017.JPG so as to keep the line on the drum and prevent it from becoming tangled above the top plate.

Please confirm that the line should in fact go through the metal cage, or be outside as was done previously.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Brian

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm positive it goes inside. You need the cage to capture the line so it doesn't drop and maybe bind up the furler

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
line belongs wholly inside the cage. Also, the furling line appears to be far heavier than necessary.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
line belongs wholly inside the cage. Also, the furling line appears to be far heavier than necessary.
That might be why the PO ran it outside.
If you like the weight of thicker line, you can de-core the section that winds up in the cage. The strength is in the outer braid.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Here is a video that is selling a 281 but the video starts at the furling and is very clear how the line is run.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My furler has a similar setup. My line would run (inside the cage). The tension of the front bar set the line to wrap up and down the drum. Be sure you have a fairlead to the first block. On mine these work together. There is about a 15 degree angle from the fairlead to the furler drum. Out side that the line bunches on the top or bottom of the drum eventually binding. Check the line size. You want it large enough to handle but small enough to get enough line wrapped around the drum so you can furlel the sail with a couple wraps of the sheets.
Good luck.

Nov 29, 2016
Beneteau 281 Toronto
Thanks everyone, you guys are amazing. I really appreciate the responses. You have answered my question. I will swap out the line for a 1/4 inch, and run it though the cage as I thought I should. The line I have, which I think is a 3/8 (at least) also catches and jams in the cam. The fact that it's too large at 3/8 explains that as well.

Thanks again everyone.

Regards,

Brian