Furler sail choice - opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2012
Catalina 1990 Catalina 30 Mark II Harbor Island Yacht Club, Old Hickory Lake, Nashville, TN
I always sit on the rail, between the winch and the wheel; I can see the telltales on the back side, but even though the sail's white, I have a hard time seeing the frontside telltale. I probably won't get a window put in, but was wondering if many of you have them... sounds like most of you don't...

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
I also don't like yarn for telltales. They are useless. Whether it is static or dampness, they stick to the sail and don't work.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2012
Catalina 30 mkII Gulfport, Fl
Furler Size Choice

I've bought a Profurl 320 for my 1990 C30T; when I bought the boat in February it came with 3 jibs: a 110, a 150, and a storm jib that I'll probably never use.

I'll need to get one of my jibs cut down and prepared for the furler; here is my thinking:

If I use the 150, I'll have more flexibility than if I use the 110;
I can get foam luffs put on it so it'll sail better when I reef it;
On light-wind days in summer, I can use the 150 fully-extended. Here in Nashville, wind is often light in the summer, and this boat will never leave fresh water.

I singlehand a lot.

A friend said, if there's little or no wind, a 150 won't help much, and when I'm single handing it's going to be tough to handle.

I could have both sails cut down, but I don't want to switch out sails, and doubt I'd ever do it.

What would you guys do, use the 110 or the 150?

Bob
I had to make a similar choice single handing on the west coast of Florida. I got caught in 25 to 30 knot winds a number of times and could not handle the 155 furling head sail. Had the 155 cut down to a 135. Yes, there are times I miss the bigger sail but until i get that older model continuous line furler replaced, I'll stay with the 135. The single line furler requires. constant tension on both sides of the line or the wind will keep unfurling the sail. I believe the newer models have a "brake" that solves that problem but I haven't searched it out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.