Furler Replacement Issue

Jan 28, 2023
catalina 22 Clinton Marina
I’m replacing an old unknown type furler with a new CDI FF2. The old furler has a 4-piece aluminum foil with the forestay pacing through them. I am unable to pull the swaged (screw) end will not pull through and gets stuck about 3” into the lower foil extrusion.
I noticed on the top of the foil, there is a plug on the end with a small hole for the forestay to go through, likely to avoid wire rope chafing. Best I can tell, the lower end might have also had a plug and it got pulled into the foil.

Anyone run into something similar and have suggestions? Since the boat turns 40 this year, I'll likely buy a new forestay since I have no idea how old the current one is.

Attachments

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I installed a new Ff2 on my cat 22 two years ago and love it. I would replace forestay and not mess with the old one. Be carefull when measuring and cutting the foil on the new Flexi Furler. It is hard to get a good measurement due to the curl of the foil. Mine wound up an inch shorter than I wanted it. It still worked fine, it is just short. Make sure you do the install when the weather is warm, I could not imagine trying to snap the foil together if it was cold.
Dano