Furler mailsail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
complex but not that complex

I agree with Larry that there are elements of the in mast furling that causes issues. I had to take the furling drum out to drill a screw that was stuck, this would never happen with a simple classic sail and was extremely frustrating. Furling and unfurling takes practice but there are other tasks on a boat which I feel are more complex than that... also putting the mast together was tricky but again its not bad if you give it time. when it comes to speed I think the main adds more speed than that, depending on heading, I raced a few times with my asymmetrical and used the main only until I could hoist the symmetrical, I got a good 4-5 knots on reach.... beating is a completely different story :) Folding prop and whisker poles are on my list and I think for our sailing they make greater contribution to performance than vertical battens, specially given we have a sail already... Stan, let me know how you come along, I got my partslist together now i just have to be approved by the expense committee. I got some parts from Beneteau and they are WAY cheaper.....

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
complex but not that complex

I agree with Larry that there are elements of the in mast furling that causes issues. I had to take the furling drum out to drill a screw that was stuck, this would never happen with a simple classic sail and was extremely frustrating. Furling and unfurling takes practice but there are other tasks on a boat which I feel are more complex than that... also putting the mast together was tricky but again its not bad if you give it time. when it comes to speed I think the main adds more speed than that, depending on heading, I raced a few times with my asymmetrical and used the main only until I could hoist the symmetrical, I got a good 4-5 knots on reach.... beating is a completely different story :) Folding prop and whisker poles are on my list and I think for our sailing they make greater contribution to performance than vertical battens, specially given we have a sail already... Stan, let me know how you come along, I got my partslist together now i just have to be approved by the expense committee. I got some parts from Beneteau and they are WAY cheaper.....

C

chris

you have to know how to reef it...

You can't just reef the main while it is tight. let the main loose and then reef it and it won't jam. Yes, while pulling the main out, you might have to hand tighten the traveler of the main. so what? it is a great invention. just don't ask it to do something it was not designed to do.... I will NEVER buy another boat without a furling main....

C

chris

you have to know how to reef it...

You can't just reef the main while it is tight. let the main loose and then reef it and it won't jam. Yes, while pulling the main out, you might have to hand tighten the traveler of the main. so what? it is a great invention. just don't ask it to do something it was not designed to do.... I will NEVER buy another boat without a furling main....

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
Good advice

I have furled it a couple of time and once during racing, I took the time to slack up the main and pull it in without putting too much pressure. I have gotten into the habit of always pulling the jib and main all the way out when they have been furled. I seen my jib be very tight where it was furled and storing it like that can't be good.... I have had the main jam going out next time sailing after being furled, if I take it all the way out before rolling it up I dont have that problem.

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
Good advice

I have furled it a couple of time and once during racing, I took the time to slack up the main and pull it in without putting too much pressure. I have gotten into the habit of always pulling the jib and main all the way out when they have been furled. I seen my jib be very tight where it was furled and storing it like that can't be good.... I have had the main jam going out next time sailing after being furled, if I take it all the way out before rolling it up I dont have that problem.

eric g

Feb 15, 2005
- - dana point, ca
furler mainsail

I have a 2002 361 with an in mast furling main. I replaced the main with an a vertical batten (sticks)main from Neil Pryde Sails. It made a big difference and I think it is worth the price when it comes time to replace the main. I had more problems with the car and spent $200 - $250 to put a quality track and car system on the boom and it made life a lot easier gettng the sail out and back in. I picked up at least a half a knot or more. You must be careful to make sure the opening in the mast where the sail is furled is wide enough to accept a batten sail. You can check with the manufacturer of the mast and boom.

eric g

Feb 15, 2005
- - dana point, ca
furler mainsail

I have a 2002 361 with an in mast furling main. I replaced the main with an a vertical batten (sticks)main from Neil Pryde Sails. It made a big difference and I think it is worth the price when it comes time to replace the main. I had more problems with the car and spent $200 - $250 to put a quality track and car system on the boom and it made life a lot easier gettng the sail out and back in. I picked up at least a half a knot or more. You must be careful to make sure the opening in the mast where the sail is furled is wide enough to accept a batten sail. You can check with the manufacturer of the mast and boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.