Furl Tank

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Hello 309 Owners

My dock neighbor and friend of over 30 years took delivery of a 2011 309 in June. Today he arrived at the marina to find a strong odor of fuel on the boat and diesel in the bilge. We started to troubleshoot the problem and cannot find access to the fuel tank. Using deductive reasoning we think it is under the AC unit. Is this correct and is there access available without removing the AC? We want to shut the supply off while we search for this leak and also want to assess the hoses and tank.

Thanks!

Jack Manning
S/V Anam Cara
C310 #45 ⛵
Atlantic City, NJ

Attachments

Rick C

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 309 Toronto
The fuel tank on my 2009 309 is under the aft cabin berth. Remove the mattresses and you will find two large removable panels underneath. The fuel supply and return shutoffs are under the larger (outboard) panel, on top of the tank. The smaller panel (nearer the centreline) gives you access to the primary fuel filter.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
That was it. Thanks. Leak located. Have to pull the tank and get a new weld.

Sep 20, 2006
- - BDT
Hello Jack, I've just drained the tank on a Beneteau,and proceeding to lift it out to find the mystery leak from the plastic DuFuor 250liter tank. The owner should okay it Monday. Lets share notes. Thanks, Jeff D.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Jeff,

This was an aluminum tank and where it sits in his boat, some water (possible from a long term leak at his emergency tiller deck plate) pooled at a low point where it was in contact with the corner of the tank. It corroded at the corner. After pulling it, a local tank guy re welded and epoxied the entire thing for a very reasonable price. Ended up being a fairly easy job.

Rick C

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 309 Toronto
I had the same water accumulation problem under the fuel tank on my 309 (#174). Once water enters that space there is no way for it to leave, other than very slow evaporation. Worse yet, there is no easy way to know that water is present unless your maintenance routine includes wiggling your arm down the very small space between the front of the fuel tank and the bulkhead.

Jul 8, 2015
Catalina 309 New Orleans, LA
I had the same water accumulation problem under the fuel tank on my 309 (#174). Once water enters that space there is no way for it to leave, other than very slow evaporation. Worse yet, there is no easy way to know that water is present unless your maintenance routine includes wiggling your arm down the very small space between the front of the fuel tank and the bulkhead.
Damnit. I have to remember to check for this on my 309? No smell of gas or indication of excess moisture in the cabin or the lazerette.... But I have an old hull (#60) and if this was a problem, I probably have the potential for it.