Furl Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styx

Sep 6, 2011
S2 8.0C Erie
I have a new to me 1975 S2 8.0c. Can anyone identify the maker? Is it possible to still get foil sections? I have 2 – 3’ sections. There is absolutely no play in the bearings. I assume I can still use it. All suggestions and comments welcome.

Attachments

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
That's a Schaefer. I've had a couple just like that and there were no extrusions, just a wire in the luff of the sail.
Mine didn't reef, just rolled up for stowing the jib/genoa. There should be a swivel for the top of the sail.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Merlinuxo is right. It is a very old Schaefer product, no longer available from them. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, I would consider a current brand. My best suggestion is Furlex, but depending on your budget and needs, there are options. I just think Furlex is the best and I have dealt with most.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Inexpensive furlers

CDI and Alado both make inexpensive but quality furlers made for DIY installation.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Styx, does your headsail have a wire in the luff? You can still use the Schaefer, the darn things are near bullet proof and last forever.
It's hoisted with the halyard and so if you need to drop the sail or step the mast, it only takes a few seconds to deal with. When I had mine and a hurricane warning was issued, I'd detach the drum and feed the whole thing through the front hatch while easing the halyard. There is a lot of work in getting ready for a storm like that and reducing windage aloft is important.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Morning Styx,
In the pic below the top swivel is attached to the furling drum (lower part) at the red arrow. That pin (red arrow) would normally be the attachment point for the jib tack (cable eye in your second pic).
The green arrow is the systems top swivel. The shackle just above the red arrow would attach to the jib head (cable eye in your first pic). The blue arrow is an extension to raise the furling drum off the deck, probably for visibility. Racers don't like having the foot of the jib raised as it may slow the boat by a tiny fraction of a knot but I like it because the visibility is more important to me. I don't think this was the purpose for that pole because of the notch cut into the end, where it would probably just have a hole if it was an extension.
Do you have a furling boom? This would be where the boom rotates to wind up the mainsail. The notch in the pole looks like the end of the winch handle used for some of these. Then again, it may be for something entirely different. Don't throw it away.
Looks like your sail has a sunbrella sacrificial (blue cloth) which is good as it will protect the furled sail from UV rays.
Let me know if I wasn't clear. Not enough coffee yet.

Attachments

Styx

Sep 6, 2011
S2 8.0C Erie
I do not seem to have the top swivel (green arrow). I also do not have the extension (blue arrow). I have attached a picture to show how mine attaches. Do you happen to know what that top swivel is called and who might have one?

I don't have a furling boom. I will hang onto the black poles and try to figure them out.

All my sails were re-furbished before I got the boat. They were still in the box from the shop that did them. I have a 25'x8'7" main, 30'3"x 14'8" jib, and 21'6" x 20'4" spinnaker. I do need to buy all new lines and thought I would get them from the SailboatOwners.com store.

Attachments

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
You're welcome. The extension is not necessary.
I think it would just be called an old style Schaefer top swivel. You might try craigslist, ebay or one of the shops that handle used gear like Minneys out in So. Cal.
There were more than one size of these furlers made so it might be best to post a question on which your (sized) boat would use to the "ask all sailors" forum.
Have you dug through all of your lockers? If the stemhead fitting (last pic you posted, also called a stem or bow fitting) isn't attached I'm guessing the mast isn't rigged? I might be on the mast. Might ask the seller if they recall where it was last.
Not much use for the drum/lower part without the top swivel so it doesn't make sense for them to have gotten rid of it.

Styx

Sep 6, 2011
S2 8.0C Erie
Re: Like this?

Thanks Bob. I just called them and he needs to see if there is a number on it. I am looking for a 650-01.

Sep 12, 2010
S2 8.0c Ninnescah Sailing Association
I also have 2 - 3'x1" aluminum poles. Is this part of the unit or are they for something else?
Styx, those black poles are your spreaders. The notch goes on the outside and your center shroud wire goes through the notch and a spreader boot goes on the outside.

Here's a bad photo. Not sure why the forum rotated my image...

Attachments

Styx

Sep 6, 2011
S2 8.0C Erie
Cool. Thanks Klemsaba. I have pieces from 2 different boats trying to turn them into one boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.