Funny things said while sailing

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
A motorcycle forum that I participate in (Advrider) has a thread called “stupid questions people ask you while stopped” and something my wife said this weekend made me think a similar thread here might be fun.

My lovely wife let drop a couple choose words this last weekend while we were out sailing (I think it was in regards to the shifty winds). What she was talking about has been lost to the laughter of what she said after I gave her a hard time about her choice of words.

And I quote, “well if I can’t talk like a sailor what’s the %@&#ing point of owning a sailboat!”

We both just laughed like crazy afterwards.

A picture of my sweet potty mouthed better half
2BBCEC0E-01BE-4EEB-9F5F-9E3C32FC05A7.jpeg

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Good friend of mine, Blake, a 6'3" cowboy: "Sooo, this thing is sorta like an RV that floats, huh?"

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
One of my kids likes to use correct nautical terms.... and she uses them with confidence and authority....however she gets them all wrong ...

My favorite one was the time she told me she was going forward to make the anchor halyard ready. :p

I suppose when you are retrieving the anchor, that is a rather descriptive term.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
1971, late in the afternoon after a long day, as we were looking for a good place to anchor around an island of the Thousand Islands area, me looking at the chart checking depth : ''Let me check if there is water everywhere around this island !'' Retort from my wife: ''It's an island of course there is water all around...and you're the captain ???

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
My dad, career navy and a lifelong sailor, never swore but he could say "sugar" with enough feeling that you knew exactly what he meant!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Well, she’s got the cussing down, so she’s half way to sailor ! Give her a badge and some Patrick O’Brian novels.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This isn't what was said, but what was heard.
As a young lad, we had taken one of our fishing boats on a family and friends cruise to the Bahamas. The trip meant navigating across Florida on the Caloosahatchee waterway. On the way home, we came to a low swinging bridge and my father blew his horn for the bridge, "BRROOO BRROOO BRROOO".
Nothing.
"BRROOO BRROOO BRROOO".
Nothing.
The middle of Florida, back then and now, is fairly deserted and there eas no traffic, no buildings but a shack and a general store at one end of the bridge.
"Dad, can I blow the horn?"
"Sure, Willy."
"BRROOO BRROOO BRROOO", and just because I thought it was cool to do, one more "BRROOO!"
:yikes:"WILLY! THAT'S THE EMERGENCY SIGNAL!"
OOPS!:doh:

It was still 5 minutes before we watched this skinny old hunched over guy walk slowly to the center of the bridge. He grabbed a long metal bar from one side railing and proceeded to fit one end into the middle of the bridge deck. Then he grabbed the other end and slowly, ever so slowly, walked in circles around the center axis like a pressed sailor on an old British navy ship. The bridge swung open and we went through and I have felt bad about possibly making that old man think we had an emergency, ever since.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
My dad, career navy and a lifelong sailor, never swore but he could say "sugar" with enough feeling that you knew exactly what he meant!
My dad wasn't a lifer but he was in the navy and loved water all his life. His phrase was "your sister takes the numbers". I quote him occasionally.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
This isn't what was said, but what was heard.
As a young lad, we had taken one of our fishing boats on a family and friends cruise to the Bahamas. The trip meant navigating across Florida on the Caloosahatchee waterway. On the way home, we came to a low swinging bridge and my father blew his horn for the bridge, "BRROOO BRROOO BRROOO".
Nothing.
"BRROOO BRROOO BRROOO".
Nothing.
The middle of Florida, back then and now, is fairly deserted and there eas no traffic, no buildings but a shack and a general store at one end of the bridge.
"Dad, can I blow the horn?"
"Sure, Willy."
"BRROOO BRROOO BRROOO", and just because I thought it was cool to do, one more "BRROOO!"
:yikes:"WILLY! THAT'S THE EMERGENCY SIGNAL!"
OOPS!:doh:

It was still 5 minutes before we watched this skinny old hunched over guy walk slowly to the center of the bridge. He grabbed a long metal bar from one side railing and proceeded to fit one end into the middle of the bridge deck. Then he grabbed the other end and slowly, ever so slowly, walked in circles around the center axis like a pressed sailor on an old British navy ship. The bridge swung open and we went through and I have felt bad about possibly making that old man think we had an emergency, ever since.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Caloosahatchee or Okeechobee? I know that bridge on the Okeechobee. First time I went through the guy showed up on a tractor- he'd been in a field plowing :)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Nice catch. Okeechobee.

The incident happened almost 50 years ago. Do you think it is still there?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
My dad wasn't a lifer but he was in the navy and loved water all his life. His phrase was "your sister takes the numbers". I quote him occasionally.
I have no idea what that means. But since it was a father describing his daughter I don’t suppose it could be too bad.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I was photographing a pond from an airplane many years ago. Suddenly the sunlight reflected perfectly off the ripples. I was able to get a great shot but immediately screamed for the pilot to back up so I could get another. I was soooooo young back then.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Nice catch. Okeechobee.

The incident happened almost 50 years ago. Do you think it is still there?

-Will (Dragonfly)
It was when I came through in 2011. Only difference is now you use the VHF. But the tender had a guy wo walked the wheel around- I asked why no motor- he laughed- pointed and said- got one :)