Fun with an iPad, or what is the temperature

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
A few screen shots of my iPad project. I didn't like that Yanmar uses idiot lights so I decide to write a program to monitor several temperate sensors. Anyway here is where I am at now. I hope to add oil pressure and alt. later. We will see. Anyway the information is transmitted by wifi to an iPad or a iPhone, you could use an android but it would not be as pretty.

Main screen. The txt screen could be used on a iPhone as could all the gauges. The led buttons change color to reflect the temperate. The Barometer and cabin temperature are on the chip on the breadboard for the micro processor I am using which is sitting by an ac vent which is why the cabin temp is low.

I just ordered some additional sensors I will seen what else I can throw on to the screen.

A link to the Weather Radar for the Lake. For this you do need a connection to the internet, I use my smart phone.

Playing with Gauge faces and set points for led buttons.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I'm wondering if his wifi is independent of the docks.

Offshore?

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
30 miles offshore?
What you do is set up a wifi network in the boat to carry boat data on the LAN side you the have a connection to the outside world on the WAN side. You can use a Tenda for the LAN side or use a smartphone, how you get off the boat with a connection to the outside world is your choice, at 30 miles you will only see you boat LAN.

The weather Radar is simply links to the local TV station radar displays on the internet if I lose the connection I lose those links I still have my engine data as it is bound to the LAN on the boat.

Feb 20, 2011
What you do is set up a wifi network in the boat to carry boat data on the LAN side you the have a connection to the outside world on the WAN side. You can use a Tenda for the LAN side or use a smartphone, how you get off the boat with a connection to the outside world is your choice, at 30 miles you will only see you boat LAN.
So you can transmit that data to your pedestal without a cellular link? Cool.

I have so much to learn!

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
So you can transmit that data to your pedestal without a cellular link? Cool.

I have so much to learn!

In this case the server a small embedded linux processor. The coding is Python and the user interface is a iPad app which uses XML.

Feb 20, 2011
In this case the server a small embedded linux processor. The coding is Python and the user interface is a iPad app which uses XML.
Which probably means I'll need an NSA compliant system. :cussing:

What the heck do I know?;)

Feb 20, 2011
I've got a LAN at home, and I can rip files out of my W98 SE 'puter, with a W8 laptop. But that's about it. Haven't looked at the AC-DC transformers.

Linux should be the next horizon for me. And a bigger boat. I'm slow, you see.

Again, kudos.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
DS18B20 Waterproof Digital Thermal Probe, strap them anywhere. One wire network, you can install a hundred if you want.

Where did you strap the one for the display? Are you getting the temperature of the coolant or from outside the engine?

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
May I ask, what is the iPad app that you wrote the display in?

Jeff

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Cripes... and I can't even get my wireless printer to work to my desktop!

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
Where did you strap the one for the display? Are you getting the temperature of the coolant or from outside the engine?
The sensors or placed at any location you like. In my case I studied the cooling flow of the engines and determined the best place to install them. A couple of tie warps and you are good to go. I did not place them into the coolant stream, I wasn't going to do that. If you feel the reading are off you can relocate or write an offset into the code for that sensor. You can add any where you can get a good contact.

The Yanmar alarm will sound at 203 degrees so that is the high point for the engine. I researced the exhaust and the high point was a 167 so that is what I used. The Yanma thermostat is full open at 185, you can adjust all the set points to your liking in the code. It also easy to add an audible alarm which I have on the breadboard.

No sensor on the screen the CPU temp is the Data server CPU temp.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Yes, that is pretty cool.
I wonder if the XM Weather add on to some GPS units could be sent to the iPad if you are out beyond wifi/cell service?